Will Expanded Marine Protected Areas End Fishing on BC’s Coast?

There was an article in todays Vanc Sun, that open net fish farms would be banned by 2025 .. too bad it isn't happening sooner..
And of course there is the usual Boo Hoo about loss of jobs and impact to the economy
About time we put more emphasis on saving and restoring our natural resources
If we don't save our natural resources, then we may as well turn the sea over to the ranchers & farmers ...

The negotiations are really happening in Ottawa behind closed doors. And you can be assured the greens etc. Are in the room.

There was an article in todays Vanc Sun, that open net fish farms would be banned by 2025 .. too bad it isn't happening sooner..
And of course there is the usual Boo Hoo about loss of jobs and impact to the economy
About time we put more emphasis on saving and restoring our natural resources
If we don't save our natural resources, then we may as well turn the sea over to the ranchers & farmers ...

For that to happen the Liberals would have to win not only this election but also the next one. Beyond that it would have to be more than just another get elected promise that they are more than likely to walk away from if they actually win the next two elections.

Yeh, I read them. Here’s a link to a more recent reassessment of those EBSAs;
https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/40714081.pdf
Not ready to light my hair on fire quite yet.
That is actually very old info. They (DFO Oceans) are not sharing publicly the detailed maps showing the proposed MPA closures. You won't find any of it online. There really hasn't been much effort expended to have open public consultation. All the consultation to date has been behind closed doors with small groups of stakeholders so they can tick the box saying everyone was "consulted".

Contained within the MPA closures are areas specifically set aside for FN's (recreational and commercial closed areas) for species such as crab etc. Some of the closures are in high-use recreational areas close to population centres. The small tin boat fishery areas are in jeopardy. Once in place for the Northern Bioshelf area, the same will follow as they move south.

And, they were in a big rush to push it through prior to the election, which did not happen because many stakeholders including the SFAB expressed significant concerns with the lack of open consultation and consideration for social & economic impacts. If you had opportunity to view the most up to date info your hair would look more like scorched earth. And, recall that the current process only deals with the Northern Bio-Shelf area. Once this process is complete, they move south. If you look closely at the Areas of Interest they take up most of what I would call critical habitat for the public fishery to take place.

And, the current process is aimed at only protecting 10%....just imagine what 25 to 30% will look like?

Just saying we all need to be very alive to the impacts, or risk waking up one day wondering why all the areas we loved (yes loved in past tense) to fish are closed....then as usual people will light their hair on fire...but too late to do anything about it.

This article has some decent overview maps of the EBSA's, but not down the level of detail where you are able to specifically see proposed closures....does give you a general sense of the scope we are dealing with.

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/will-expanded-marine-protected-areas-end-fishing-on-bcs-coast/

On another fisheries related flank that may influence fed/dfo thinking here's what Wash state is looking at for SRKW protection. Some insight into where K&L and J pods spend their time in winter what they eat. Interesting studies suggest SKW's spend very little time within 1 NM of shore, preferred depths etc.

I still think US/CA research is incomplete and decisions being made in Canada reflect an anti-fishing mentality. Where's the effort by Canada to put money where their mouth is? Where's the funding to correct the other primary factors affecting fisheries; like doing something on other fronts like reducing pollution sources, restoring habitat, increasing hatchery production. Why are the fishing sectors getting all the hits. IMO I think the feds/DFO are acting more like a conservation organization trying to eliminate saltwater fishing by slow strangulation. This is something I will never forget when it comes to elections.

https://archive.fisheries.noaa.gov/...bh95_biological_report_september_2019_508.pdf

That is actually very old info. They (DFO Oceans) are not sharing publicly the detailed maps showing the proposed MPA closures. You won't find any of it online. There really hasn't been much effort expended to have open public consultation. All the consultation to date has been behind closed doors with small groups of stakeholders so they can tick the box saying everyone was "consulted".

Contained within the MPA closures are areas specifically set aside for FN's (recreational and commercial closed areas) for species such as crab etc. Some of the closures are in high-use recreational areas close to population centres. The small tin boat fishery areas are in jeopardy. Once in place for the Northern Bioshelf area, the same will follow as they move south.

And, they were in a big rush to push it through prior to the election, which did not happen because many stakeholders including the SFAB expressed significant concerns with the lack of open consultation and consideration for social & economic impacts. If you had opportunity to view the most up to date info your hair would look more like scorched earth. And, recall that the current process only deals with the Northern Bio-Shelf area. Once this process is complete, they move south. If you look closely at the Areas of Interest they take up most of what I would call critical habitat for the public fishery to take place.

And, the current process is aimed at only protecting 10%....just imagine what 25 to 30% will look like?

Just saying we all need to be very alive to the impacts, or risk waking up one day wondering why all the areas we loved (yes loved in past tense) to fish are closed....then as usual people will light their hair on fire...but too late to do anything about it.

This article has some decent overview maps of the EBSA's, but not down the level of detail where you are able to specifically see proposed closures....does give you a general sense of the scope we are dealing with.

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/will-expanded-marine-protected-areas-end-fishing-on-bcs-coast/

I want you on the record Searun after all this is very important issue. Is this what you are willing to trade, an oil pipeline against your fear of MPA that has not been consulted on.

An Andrew Scheer Conservative government would reopen consultations with First Nations along the defunct Northern Gateway oil pipeline route as part of a national energy-corridor strategy to access new Asian markets through deepwater ports.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1570925504

I want you on the record saying that you support expanding the MPA network to 25 %, and ultimately 30%. When they are implemented by the Liberals the recreational fishery is finished...this is a critically important issue for our fishery. Another Liberal government will spell the end to our access to much of the water we currently would call critical habitat for supporting a thriving recreational fishery. Which is more harmful to the public fishery....a pipeline or expanded MPA's??? An absurd trade-off IMO.

The liberals bought a pipeline and can’t even get it built but shom how the conservatives are going to open a new one and have it built in less then 4 years with a minority government???

I want you on the record saying that you support expanding the MPA network to 25 %, and ultimately 30%. When they are implemented by the Liberals the recreational fishery is finished...this is a critically important issue for our fishery. Another Liberal government will spell the end to our access to much of the water we currently would call critical habitat for supporting a thriving recreational fishery. Which is more harmful to the public fishery....a pipeline or expanded MPA's??? An absurd trade-off IMO.
You just can't do it now can you.
I know your tactics of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD).
Same tactics as the tobacco and the oil industry.
I'm sure that you think you are doing the right thing but the Con's are playing you as they have submitted their economic plan at there will be cuts and we both know how that turned out last time.
EGpOCRcUwAAjeWM

added:
https://www.pbo-dpb.gc.ca/en/epc-estimates

Last edited:
On another fisheries related flank that may influence fed/dfo thinking here's what Wash state is looking at for SRKW protection. Some insight into where K&L and J pods spend their time in winter what they eat. Interesting studies suggest SKW's spend very little time within 1 NM of shore, preferred depths etc.

I still think US/CA research is incomplete and decisions being made in Canada reflect an anti-fishing mentality. Where's the effort by Canada to put money where their mouth is? Where's the funding to correct the other primary factors affecting fisheries; like doing something on other fronts like reducing pollution sources, restoring habitat, increasing hatchery production. Why are the fishing sectors getting all the hits. IMO I think the feds/DFO are acting00m more like a conservation organization trying to eliminate saltwater fishing by slow strangulation. This is something I will never forget when it comes to elections.

https://archive.fisheries.noaa.gov/...bh95_biological_report_september_2019_508.pdf

Pretty much follows the focal follow studies in Canada, and yes the focus on applying hysterical protectionism to the near-shore public fishery is puzzling. Most of the sanctuary areas were only very lightly utilized by SRKW, calling into question Canada's approach to applied science. Quite frankly a strengthened (as in hard enforcement) mobile sanctuary of 400m would offer better protection.

Last edited:
Here we go again. We arent talking about pipelines but yet again it gets brought up. Next it will be climate change.

Cue the 90 page copy and paste. Can we stay on topic?

Last edited:
I'm sure that you think you are doing the right thing but the Con's are playing you as they have submitted their economic plan at there will be cuts and we both know how that turned out last time.
EGpOCRcUwAAjeWM

Accusing someone of using fear and then in the next sentence using fear that the conservatives will cut dfo.

I guess Searuns tactics must be so good you decided to use your own fear tactics.

Lol

Last edited:

Lmao, so because he thinks a monitory government might happen and therefore his party might be needed for a collation he’s now more flexible on pipelines??

“OTTAWA — NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh left the door open Friday to supporting government ownership of the Trans Mountain pipeline, comments that come as polling suggests a minority Parliament is increasingly likely.”

EGpOCRcUwAAjeWM

added:
https://www.pbo-dpb.gc.ca/en/epc-estimates

giphy (3).gif

Back