Wild or Farmed

terrin

In San Diego on a business trip this week and my wife asks the waitress "is your salmon wild?" Says she will check. Comes back and says well it's actually both we raise them in a special place out in the wild. I almost spewed my coffee but it probably fools a lot of people.

wow, now there is propaganda twist!!

Lol,, yup that's a twist..

If they were serving alaskan ranched salmon I think her answer would be accurate. Eggs hatched in a hatchery then held in pens for a few months, fed feed(pellets), given antibiotics, and released by the billions into the pacific into an environment the receives little research on the effect of such practices. Then marketed as "wild salmon". Id say ya farmed in a nice place but I think a follow up question to her answer should have been asked to clarify. The end result of your interaction is you still really don't have any idea of what kind of salmon they were serving.

good point birdy!! ranching, lesser of two evils i guess..

If they were serving alaskan ranched salmon I think her answer would be accurate. Eggs hatched in a hatchery then held in pens for a few months, fed feed(pellets), given antibiotics, and released by the billions into the pacific into an environment the receives little research on the effect of such practices. Then marketed as "wild salmon". Id say ya farmed in a nice place but I think a follow up question to her answer should have been asked to clarify. The end result of your interaction is you still really don't have any idea of what kind of salmon they were serving.

True but I knew it wasn't wild and that's really what my choice to try it was based on.

Back