Why are there Nets on the Fraser

Sorry I wish i had more info for you guys, as I said I just received the same picture I put up here, I’m not on Instagram

If there's someone on the Forum who lives close to Granville Island - a visit to verify that the picture is accurate would be very helpful. I, for one, am very skeptical of things that appear on the Net or Facebook with no attribution.

If there's someone on the Forum who lives close to Granville Island - a visit to verify that the picture is accurate would be very helpful. I, for one, am very skeptical of things that appear on the Net or Facebook with no attribution.
I doubt the President of the SFI wouldn’t post it if it wasn’t credible

Thanks for the Info Ryan however how on earth given the severe restrictions placed on the recreational community would you expect anything else . This shop in my opinion was irresponsible in placing the displayed sign without an explanation.

Why are these fish being sold for profit when their is FN who need there food fish.
These fish should be given to ppl who need them instead of being sold !

The Albion test fishery is funded through the sales of those fish...so no ticky no laundry. People should also realize that DFO had stated from the outset there will be "limited" FSC fisheries for ceremonial purposes only. The reason the recreational and commercial fisheries have been closed is the FN's on the Fraser stated that they would exercise their full Section 35 rights if there were any rec and commercial fisheries taking place. The current caselaw says that if there is any "infringement" on FSC Section 35 rights, that there can be no recreational fishing no matter how small. So here we have a Mexican stand off where no one fishes. What a mess. DFO has never defined what exactly the full FSC Section 35 right is in number of Chinook, and that is a central problem here. Without a set limit or target number based on abundance we will continue to have these stand off situations - unless of course we return to abundance. Many fish, cures many problems - lets get on with the job of swiftly creating more Upper Fraser Chinook.

The Albion test fishery is funded through the sales of those fish...so no ticky no laundry. People should also realize that DFO had stated from the outset there will be "limited" FSC fisheries for ceremonial purposes only. The reason the recreational and commercial fisheries have been closed is the FN's on the Fraser stated that they would exercise their full Section 35 rights if there were any rec and commercial fisheries taking place. The current caselaw says that if there is any "infringement" on FSC Section 35 rights, that there can be no recreational fishing no matter how small. So here we have a Mexican stand off where no one fishes. What a mess. DFO has never defined what exactly the full FSC Section 35 right is in number of Chinook, and that is a central problem here. Without a set limit or target number based on abundance we will continue to have these stand off situations - unless of course we return to abundance. Many fish, cures many problems - lets get on with the job of swiftly creating more Upper Fraser Chinook.
Good luck. Sounds like study after study. **** away the $100 mill and do zip to increase hatchery production or to remove a few thousand trouble pinnipeds.

The reason the recreational and commercial fisheries have been closed is the FN's on the Fraser stated that they would exercise their full Section 35 rights if there were any rec and commercial fisheries taking place.

Interior fraser coho....Interior fraser steelhead....odd how S35 rights apply differently to different species

lower river netting is oolichans, buddy of mine is out there.

Maybe we should all just do a creel survey as the data shows no fish being caught. Very reliable and thorough data we can all have confidence in.

lower river netting is oolichans, buddy of mine is out there.

They opened a fishery for "Oolichans ??

I knew it was only a matter of time before the Lower Fraser Bands demanded some openings. They never sit by and let the upper bands fish.

A 24 hour opening in the canyon from hope to sawmill, that's going to be a slaughter

View attachment 45401

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CeremonialOpeningTimes.pdf
Two faced liar. Honorable Jonathan Wilkinson. I guess Native Communal/Ceremonial takes precedent of conservation which I thought was the whole reason Sportfisherman are not allowed to keep Chinook. Conservation! Right. October doesn't come quick enough.

Back