Where to go for a Spring Break Fishing Mission

kaelc

I’ve got a hall pass for a weekend solo fishing mission and a possibility of a couple days with my son. Where would you go the end of March? Victoria departure but could trailer up north

I know Bamfield pretty well, little hesitant given the weather in March and my son being 4. He does well off shore in the summer but even close to shore in the winter/spring is a bit much.

Thinking of filming the mission and likely bring some traps. Where would you go? Any buddy boats up for a mission?

i think your best bet all around is some feeder spring fishing nanaimo as far north as CR. mind you these Sourh easters have been tearing me in half in CR.

You could run up Toba or Bute if you heading to CR. Pretty cool country. Traps as in prawn or crabs? Have a plan A,B,C. Worst case, maybe maybe just around the gulf islands?

I’d be doing a gulf island tour, lots of fish to be had the last few weeks in the polier area for us. Prawns a plenty too. Another thought would be McNeil area for some exploring and Hali.

i think your best bet all around is some feeder spring fishing nanaimo as far north as CR. mind you these Sourh easters have been tearing me in half in CR.
Egmont, full stop
Yeah, I’ll check the weather. I would like to learn how to fish out of the Comox Valley, CR area and haven’t gone up Jervis Inlet. Caught my first salmon at kitty coleman at 5 and got the bug for fishing again at 30 fishing browns bay. Boat and I can handle it but I’m not a great sleeper when it comes to anchoring in bad weather.

You could run up Toba or Bute if you heading to CR. Pretty cool country. Traps as in prawn or crabs? Have a plan A,B,C. Worst case, maybe maybe just around the gulf islands?
Toba or Bute would be amazing, any winter springs to be had there?

Yeah, both prawn and crab. I’m thinking of picking up another dual purpose flex fold. I have 1 flex fold prawn/crab and 3 flex fold crab traps now.

Gulf islands is definitely the easiest. I have friends mooring buoys and could maybe smell out some fried chicken, and show up with some Hali for the fryer. There is a Hali spot I have been meaning to check out in the straight and I caught the derby winner back in 2019 just north of Discovery.

Yeah, both prawn and crab. I’m thinking of picking up another dual purpose flex fold. I have 1 flex fold prawn/crab and 3 flex fold crab traps now.

Gulf islands is definitely the easiest. I have friends mooring buoys and could maybe smell out some fried chicken, and show up with some Hali for the fryer. There is a Hali spot I have been meaning to check out in the straight and I caught the derby winner back in 2019 just north of Discovery.
Prawning is good up there. And I’m sure there are some feeders around, I just don’t know the tacks. I’m sure it’d be easy to figure out though. Just logistically a lot more difficult than a gulf islands trip coming from Vic. Pretty much need a travel day on either end though. If you decide to make that trip, shoot me a message and I’ll send you some spots.

Prawning is good up there. And I’m sure there are some feeders around, I just don’t know the tacks. I’m sure it’d be easy to figure out though. Just logistically a lot more difficult than a gulf islands trip coming from Vic. Pretty much need a travel day on either end though. If you decide to make that trip, shoot me a message and I’ll send you some spots.
Yeah. I have family in Courtney to visit so it takes some of the sting out of travel. Appreciate that, might not happen this spring break but I need to explore up there. I hear there is some good coho fishing up there sometimes!

Yeah. I have family in Courtney to visit so it takes some of the sting out of travel. Appreciate that, might not happen this spring break but I need to explore up there. I hear there is some good coho fishing up there sometimes!
pm sent

Nanaimo could be an easy safe trip, good launch and parking. could dock up at Newcastle dock moorage and buoy’s. Cool island to check out tight in Nanaimo harbour some restaurants close to docks. Close to several fishing options

Secret cove could be another option, launch at French creek and rip across. Nice marina, would be able to fish several spots, French creek, sangster, lasquieti, texada and Epsom. Moore for a night maybe anchor for a night in around lasquieti

With a cold and some stupid looking wind reports, combined with a Facebook friend heading out with his ocean roamer to the bank in Bamfield I decided to spend the weekend going for Hali and crab from Pedder Bay and Sooke’s launch.

The first day I had debated the gulf islands but getting skunked the week before I wanted a fish. Solo launched at pedder bay, set up where I know two charters fished. Ran three lines and fished hard but no bites. Debated staying on the hook but the wind reported won out and I headed for home.

On my way in got a hot tip for Hali, but 30 mile run and winds. So the next morning wind report looks good, not great. Scrounged up a buddy and did the run. Wind and waves were pretty good but true west coast rollers. Back trolling proved miserable in one of the worst downpours.

switched to trolling with spoons and fired up the bbq. Tenderloin on toast with Avocado. No bites, two day old hali report was a bust or we were in the wrong spot. Had a pursuit charter whip by us, he had two chickens on the morning currents, but we were targeting the afternoon.

Buddy got to cold to switch lures, but heater and floater coat kept me pretty good despite wet to my underwear after my rain gear showed how useless it was.

20 mile run back to the launch went well. Took lots of gopro footage but without the prize it will likely just be a little video for the kids.

Really appreciate everyone’s input on trips and will definitely buy them all in a planner and do them over the next year or so!

Back