where to fish this weekend ?

S

saltybeaver

I was considering browns bay, but does anybody else have info that might put me in a couple springs ? maybe vancouver ?

I was wondering the same thing earlier. It sure seems to have gotten awfully quiet on this board.

Well if I were to go, I would want to try for Northers off Port Renfrew. I ran my boat from Bamfield to Nanaimo one time and stopped at swiftsure for a fish. Next thing you know my buddy pulls up a nice 27-28 pound spring. And we bonk it on the head. He no sooner sets his line again and it goes off.. another 25 pounder.. So I pull mine up from off the bottom while he is fighting this 1. I set it to 45 feet then turn my attention back to his his as my rod goes off. He netted his 25 pnd spring then just before he goes to net my 20+ pounder his lure is taken right on the surface behind the boat not 5-6 ft behind us. Looks like another 20+ pounder. I think to myself .. hey these springs are acting alot like Coho. Then I look and sure enough there was no spots on the tails ect.. So we started Coho fishing and it turned out to be one of the most memorable days of fishing I ever had. You could see thousands of these fish just under the surface in the swells. So when you where down in the bottom you could see them swiming by you at eye level. They were even swimming along side the boat playing in the cannonball wake. We had to leave aruond 4pm so that I could finish the run to Nanaimo before dark. It was the first weekend in Oct. You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when we unloaded the boat at schooner cove!

Anyways If I were going thats where I would go...

Fished Renfrew yesterday and the coho where offshore 2-4 miles out in front of the can down to in front of Campers. Swiftsure has lots of coho. Maybe with the rain forecasted by the end of next week they will be closer in.

quote:Originally posted by salmon9

Fished Renfrew yesterday and the coho where offshore 2-4 miles out in front of the can down to in front of Campers. Swiftsure has lots of coho. Maybe with the rain forecasted by the end of next week they will be closer in.

Hey Salmon 9 - I am heading to Renfrew Sunday for a few days to fish, if we can't get out to Swiftsure, where would you suggest going for coho or springs? And what were you using? I have only been there once before, but love it

The number of springs is falling off now; however, if you work East Point, Owen Point or Campers hard during tide change with anchovies or 4-5 inch Coyote spoons you may get the odd one. I would focus on coho and you will find boats fishing off shore for them. I think you are a bit early to catch them off the Can and around Owen Point.

Head straight out 2-3 miles from the Bouy/Can you should see boats spread out fishing for coho. If you still don't find them keep working your way out and up the coast up to offshore of Logan Creek. I found best action was early morning with spoons fishing 40-60 ft.

Remember hatchery coho can only be kept. Some good size swells out there - be safe.

Where would I get any info on the coho derby at the end of the month?

Back