Where To Fish Halibut around Black Creek and CR

Uzi1996

Planning a trip up the island from qualicum in June to hopefully get into some halis, any tips on where to go? We are undecided where to go just yet never fished up there before. Is There Smelly butts around up there? Where to go? Thanks guys

I have caught a few trolling deep or salmon, but I think they are pretty scarce on the inside. I would go north or west looking for bottom fish.

You would be better off to head up to telegraph cove and fish the back side of Malcolm island for hali or further up in hardy.

Planning a trip up the island from qualicum in June to hopefully get into some halis, any tips on where to go? We are undecided where to go just yet never fished up there before. Is There Smelly butts around up there? Where to go? Thanks guys
Look at the charts and target the banks out there. I know they've been caught trolling bottom as well.

Get yourself a hali anchor and put some hours in. Most people get the rare one on the troll on the inside.

seem the odd one caught out at the hump in CR
usually incidental while salmon fishing

IPHC set line survey pretty much demonstrated there aren't many halibut inside SoG. There are a few places where they lurk. The hump is one popular location, so too is the old pulp mill site up towards Duncan Bay. I always eyed up Halibut Bank....thinking of course, why name it that if there weren't Halibut there....but its closed to fishing. If a person really wanted to do serious exploration, the first step is looking over a chart to find the right bottom structure and try those spots (as long as they are open to fishing).

I always eyed up Halibut Bank....thinking of course, why name it that if there weren't Halibut there....but its closed to fishing.
I know a ex-commercial guy who tried that place back when it was open and he caught one about a foot long-he was adamant though that it was a Halibut not a Flounder or Sole.

Back