Where the fish are at this season.

There are days where we dial em in before others (sometimes including guides) could be location or something less obvious like size of bait. Vice versa sometimes others get em first but when we chat its pretty rare either one of us pick up to chase the others success and ussually we all do pretty good by the end of the day...I think attention to detail and knowing the general trends of the salmon your targeting will box you more than chasing the other boats. Many a slow days have come alive when I troll away from all the noise under there...

The binoculars suggestion was intended for guys learning the ropes on the water. Kind of more a learning aid I'd say, once you know what you're doing out there I wouldn't think they'd be used much. Lots of guys carry them more for spotting wildlife, I personally don't carry or use them on the water.

Cap fish....30 lb Chrome....lively....2nd tack....Not 40lb test with 30 lb leader.....Ran across the fleet for 15+ minutes....a red that tasted great....I felt sporty and not sure what the sun, moon and tides we're doing...All I know is I had a screamer on......Hahaha. View attachment 32408 .
Yea you got that while following me around;)

I keep a pair of binoculars on board. They can be handy in lots of ways... navigation purposes, finding birds working a baitball, whalewatching, spotting debris or deadheads, identifying a vessel by name for hailing etc, and of course for spying on all the guide boats that im following!

Well their is a use for binoculars if off the beaches at Point Grey, but the scenery's really not all that great there anyways :)

I will help most people on the water and definitely at the end of day when im cleaning up etc. when my clients are gone... NOT when they are still there and im cleaning fish ive had guys come to me asking a millions questions, sorry im busy.
As for following us on water happens alot you still can but do it way back from us and if we get a fish on this is the easiest thing to do TURN your boat around do a 100 yd tact back down. Then come back up by then we will have it close enough to net it . IVE had many guys just keep on trolling right at me only to point out there is a fish on the surface RIGHT infront of their boat. please dont be like that its a hard enough day to get one dont need the stress of getting wrapped into someone elses downrigger and lose it , no one wins in that situation. also like someone said watch the pattern of the boats in sooke we do a counter clock wise rotation or "RIGHT ROD TO SHORE" its a big ocean and enough room for all of us. Respect each others space

Good luck Wolf

x3...i commie trolled my whole life... "right hand to beach has right of way" its a good rule and works.
if u see a guy in front fighting a fish , move and give him room, even if u have right of way.
Were out there , to have fun and good time....so have fun.

I made this post to help guys just starting out on the chuck help determine if the spot they've chosen to fish for the day is worth sticking at. Please, please, do not misinterpret what I was saying. I am not encouraging anyone to follow around the guide boats all day. The number of guide boats at any given location is only one of many indicators of whether that is a good spot to stick at.

If it is a calm day on the water keep an eye peeled for areas with signs of bait fish or bird activity on the surface. Birds often indicate the presence of bait, and where there's bait you'll often find your salmon. If it is extremely calm day you may be able to see salmon finning on the surface, or jumping in the distance. All good signs that is an area worth sticking at.

New guys, learn to use your fish finder in the manual mode. I am often shocked when I go out with someone who's fishing in the chuck with the sounder set on auto. Those cute fish symbols tell you nothing about what is returning the signal under you. Learn to differentiate between bait and other large fish on your sounder. For all you know with the sounder set on auto those fish symbols all at 40 feet are the signal bouncing off your Downrigger ball. Put some time in learning to fine tune the settings on your sounder and interpret all the signals properly. Once you have it set properly and can differentiate the information it's giving you, you will be far better able to decide if your fishing in a worth while location.

Guide boats are just one of many indicators that you've picked the right spot for the day. Do not follow them, or any other boat all day long. No one appreciates having a shadow on on the water all day long.

Well their is a use for binoculars if off the beaches at Point Grey, but the scenery's really not all that great there anyways :)

Wreck Beach describes the bodies on that beach.. ;)

nicer girls on roberts creek ......;)

I keep the binos close by only to have the occasional glance at my crab and prawn pots to make sure they arent getting pulled

I keep the binos close by only to have the occasional glance at my crab and prawn pots to make sure they arent getting pulled

I'd like to spend a day out there waiting for a bunch of the SOBs to Monkey around with my traps...and catch them in the act recording it and then following them to wherever they go to and having a bunch of RCMP arrest them and seize their boat and contents.

Ok .. here is something, let science help you improve you chances.

What makes fish vulnerable to capture by hooks? A conceptual framework and a review of key determinants

Abstract
Considerable time and money are expended in the pursuit of catching fish with hooks (e.g., handlining, angling, longlining, trolling, drumlining) across the recreational, commercial and subsistence fishing sectors. The fish and other aquatic organisms (e.g., squid) that are captured are not a random sample of the population because external (e.g., turbidity) and underlying internal variables (e.g., morphology) contribute to variation in vulnerability to hooks. Vulnerability is the probability of capture for any given fish in a given location at a given time and mechanistically explains the population-level catchability coefficient, which is a fundamental and usually time-varying (i.e., dynamic) variable in fisheries science and stock assessment. The mechanistic drivers of individual vulnerability to capture are thus of interest to fishers by affecting catch rates, but are also of considerable importance to fisheries managers whenever hook-and-line-generated data contribute to stock assessments. In this paper, individual vulnerability to hooks is conceptualized as a dynamic state, in which individual fish switch between vulnerable and invulnerable states as a function of three interdependent key processes: an individual fish's internal state, its encounter with the gear, and the characteristics of the encountered gear. We develop a new conceptual framework of “vulnerability,” summarize the major drivers of fish vulnerability, and conclude that fish vulnerability involves complex processes. To understand vulnerability, a shift to interdisciplinary research and the integration of ecophysiology, fish ecology, fisheries ecology and human movement ecology, facilitated by new technological developments, is required.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/faf.12219/full

Ok .. here is something, let science help you improve you chances.

What makes fish vulnerable to capture by hooks? A conceptual framework and a review of key determinants

Abstract
Considerable time and money are expended in the pursuit of catching fish with hooks (e.g., handlining, angling, longlining, trolling, drumlining) across the recreational, commercial and subsistence fishing sectors. The fish and other aquatic organisms (e.g., squid) that are captured are not a random sample of the population because external (e.g., turbidity) and underlying internal variables (e.g., morphology) contribute to variation in vulnerability to hooks. Vulnerability is the probability of capture for any given fish in a given location at a given time and mechanistically explains the population-level catchability coefficient, which is a fundamental and usually time-varying (i.e., dynamic) variable in fisheries science and stock assessment. The mechanistic drivers of individual vulnerability to capture are thus of interest to fishers by affecting catch rates, but are also of considerable importance to fisheries managers whenever hook-and-line-generated data contribute to stock assessments. In this paper, individual vulnerability to hooks is conceptualized as a dynamic state, in which individual fish switch between vulnerable and invulnerable states as a function of three interdependent key processes: an individual fish's internal state, its encounter with the gear, and the characteristics of the encountered gear. We develop a new conceptual framework of “vulnerability,” summarize the major drivers of fish vulnerability, and conclude that fish vulnerability involves complex processes. To understand vulnerability, a shift to interdisciplinary research and the integration of ecophysiology, fish ecology, fisheries ecology and human movement ecology, facilitated by new technological developments, is required.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/faf.12219/full

Not sure what that had to do with this thread but Holy **** is that a lot of mumbo jumbo!

Stay curious fellas and happy easter.

How about rigging a few of those surprises up inside a big horse herring trolled on a detonator wire for Mr. Whiskers this Easter GLG. :)

Back