Where have all the Chinook gone?

The powers-that-be have understood this problem since well before that three year old article came out.
They very recently stated to our team in a private meeting that they a) recognize the problem, and b) fully comprehend and agree with the science behind our harvest request.

And then they merrily set up bureaucratic roadblock after bureaucratic roadblock as to why they won't give us a green light any time soon.

Fiddling, covering butt, and self justification are the order of the day.
And eff the resource if it gets in the way.

Beyond SAD!
Really20Mad.gif

Nog

It sad to say the least that if someone within our gov system would have the courage to pull the trigger to make it legal within parameters(humane, controlled by issuing licenses etc), it would make a REAL difference and impact to the salmon and herring population. Yet, all we see is changes to management policies through reductions/re-allocation which does absolutely NOTHING to curtail the issues of declining stock of concern.

I understand the article is a few old but would only assuming the problem has gotten even worse Nog.

As you know there has been ZERO attempt to rectify this problem so thinking these numbers are even higher

Hopefully putting articles like this back out there it will educate a few more people

Cheers

I understand the article is a few old but would only assuming the problem has gotten even worse Nog.
As you know there has been ZERO attempt to rectify this problem so thinking these numbers are even higher
Hopefully putting articles like this back out there it will educate a few more people
Cheers

The problem has grown much worse since that was published.
Even the bureaucrats now concede that point.

The few hit and miss underground approaches have made extremely little progress in terms of overall effect to date.
An organized and focused operation is what is required.

And yes, articles like this and others can enlighten those who wish to be.

Cheers indeed,
Nog

I think the researchers point was we need to take an ecosystem approach when assessing what is happening with Chinook. Its not just predation - whole of ecosystem approach is the real place to construct a recovery plan. Wild fires have destroyed key habitat, impacted water quality, and on top of all that we have predation issues. Then on top of all that...Big Bar. IMG, these fish will never catch a break. I'm no so sure those Interior Fraser Stream-Type Chinook stand a chance. I just hope the DFO Managers and politicians realize this is a very bad situation that requires tossing out the "precautionary" rule book...bring the A Game and pull out all the stops before it is too late.

Back