When to use 18lb canon balls

the butcher

I have always used 15 lb canon balls. I fish the vsncouver area such as bowen, sandheads, Vancouver harbour, west van, howe sound and sometimes around Gabriola and entrance island. I have depthpower scotty electric downriggers. For the folks who fish the same areas, when or in what conditions would you use 18lb canon balls. Also do round 18lb balls without fins cause any downrigger line braid line twist? Thanks

No I have 2106's. I like them as I don't get as much blow back when fishing deep. Now I'm so used to them when I tried to use my 12's fishing shallow I didn't even like it. It will deffintly be slower with your rigger.

When I had 1106's I went from 15's to 18's and never changed back. Now with the 2106's I run 20's exclusively and love them. I troll deep around Nanaimo where we get strong current and for hali on the west coast.

When I had 1106's I went from 15's to 18's and never changed back. Now with the 2106's I run 20's exclusively and love them. I troll deep around Nanaimo where we get strong current and for hali on the west coast.
With an 18 or 20 lb ball trolling deep around nanaimo are you still looking for a 45 degree cable angle?

my 18 or 20s are on 99 percent of the time. The only time I put 15s back on is when im doing tacks I shouldn’t be doing on the west side. The 15s have enough dents in them now they have likely slimed down to 13s.

18s are on pretty well full time. 15s are just back up or if I'm fishing super shallow, usually in wcvi.

Started using 18’s and have never gone back!! Only drawback is it hurts a little more when you lose one!
Let me ask you this, would you still use 18's if you were fishing shallow like for cohos or mouth of Fraser or another river when its open for chinooks and you aren't fishing any deeper than 60-70feet?

Keeping 18s on the riggers, 15s as backups. Fraser mouth, winter fishing in deeper waters, big current/swing tides, thrasher, always 18. If trolling slow in 20-50’, might switch to15, even 12s work in shallow and calmer waters.

But if you’re fishing shallow for coho, why don’t you use rubber and troll fast with the 18s? I find it more productive that way, plus you get to keep the precious bait for the slow troll.

Let me ask you this, would you still use 18's if you were fishing shallow like for cohos or mouth of Fraser or another river when its open for chinooks and you aren't fishing any deeper than 60-70feet?
I take my 18 lb off only because I only have a couple 15 work fine but during sockeye with dummy flasher I like the 18 s better

You dont really need 18 unless youre fishing deep say 150-180' out at thrasher. Ive always used 15 on the depthpower and its fine. Not to say 18s wouldnt do better because of current. But I wouldnt scoff at a 15 because they work and are available. I avoid finned cannon balls as they add drag.

I probably would, I still have 15’s as back ups but have just gotten used to the 18’s and like that I don’t have nearly as much blowback when I drop em deep.

You dont really need 18 unless youre fishing deep say 150-180' out at thrasher. Ive always used 15 on the depthpower and its fine. Not to say 18s wouldnt do better because of current. But I wouldnt scoff at a 15 because they work and are available. I avoid finned cannon balls as they add drag.
Never used round. Would you say the amount blowback and drag is a bit more ir significantly more than finned? Nevr any issues with ball twists?

Never used round. Would you say the amount blowback and drag is a bit more ir significantly more than finned? Nevr any issues with ball twists?
It twists like crazy. I'm back to the small finned 18s. Best overall ball in my opinion.

I have always used 15 lb canon balls. I fish the vsncouver area such as bowen, sandheads, Vancouver harbour, west van, howe sound and sometimes around Gabriola and entrance island. I have depthpower scotty electric downriggers. For the folks who fish the same areas, when or in what conditions would you use 18lb canon balls. Also do round 18lb balls without fins cause any downrigger line braid line twist? Thanks
I'll put in my $.02. I fish pretty much same areas as you. I use 15's almost exclusively. Heavy current, trolling plugs or if I was too fish deep, then I put on the 18's. Not sure of my rigger's model number's but they are a little older.

Back