When fishing with a spreader....

I've seen this tangled mess too. Not that I'd EVER do this...but, don't forget that the weight ties to the short end, and the bait ties to the long end -- not the other way round or you will get the tangled mess every time [:p]

There are a couple of sizes of Halibut spreaders too. The bigger ones tend to work better as they keep the hooks out further from your line.

On the Halibut.net site, they recommend attaching a glow stick to the spreader and now make a $30 glow-in-the-dark spreader bar. Designed to catch more fishermen I think....
I figure that when a fisherman walks into a store that sells fishing lures 90% of what they see is "Designed to catch more fishermen..."

Give me time, I'll find an even older post to comment on... especially now that I know there's someone keeping score.

P.S. I would have paid more attention to the age of the thread if I was asking questions rather than simply chucking out a peanut gallery comment. In hindsight, I'm not disappointed to have brought this particular thread back to life though - spreader bars aren't outdated technology and their use for bottom fishing continues to be common. If you read through this thread you'll find some excellent advice as to their use from experienced fishermen, including at least two professional guides.

Last edited:
I cut the tail off and hook them backwards with the Herring facing away from the weight. the bait doesn't bunch up and gets a slight roll.
You read through the entire thread and found a post that resonated with the way you fish - that's awesome!! There's something for everyone in these old threads!

Back