When fishing with a spreader....

L

leftyodoul

When Halibut fishing with a spreader bar how much weight do you use? Does it vary with the depths and currents? I would appreciate some input on this. Thanks!

We used a 1lbs ball weight with a circle hook tied to a 1-2 foot leader.

quote:Originally posted by leftyodoul

When Halibut fishing with a spreader bar how much weight do you use? Does it vary with the depths and currents? I would appreciate some input on this. Thanks!

I generally use 1 to 1.5 pound ball weights. If the current is strong, then I move up to 2 pound balls. I have pretty supple hali rods so I like to keep the weight as low as possible.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks for the input everyone.
SUSHIHUNTER - I've enjoyed your videos on Utube. Looks like you've had quite a few good days fishing up there.
One more question - How far does your weight hang below the spreader bar? I assume that you want to be pretty close to the bottom.

I usually clip the weight directly on the spreader bar but ensure that the leader is shorter than the spreader bar wire lead that you attach your hook to so that it does not tangle on your line when you let it down..... SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

I usually clip the weight directly on the spreader bar but ensure that the leader is shorter than the spreader bar wire lead that you attach your hook to so that it does not tangle on your line when you let it down..... SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I tie my weight to a short 6" leader of 20lb mono. Theory is that if the weight snags on the bottom, you can usually break off the leader and just lose the weight and not the whole spreader.

TenMile is right on, forgot to mention that or you will lose a lot of equipment other than just the weight if you don't....... (right SeaWolf)....:( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Personally I don't use a spreader bar. But I would like to know what you guys think the advantage of useing one is? When ever I have tried, it always came back up in a big knot. So I just don't use them. I hook my weight right onto my mainline. Then a chain swivel to my leader? Am I doing it all wrong?

Take only what you need.

Hey FA, if it is coming up in one big ball it is likely because your hook leader is too long........ SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

How do you get your herring to "roll" with 200 lb mono?

Take only what you need.

FA your herring is not supposed to roll, Halibut feed primarily by scent! I have heard people say to hook the herring up tail first because halibut feed headfirst! but i do not believe this as i have tried both and had no different luck! Aslong as it stinks and is meat they will eat it!

-Steve

P.S. 200 pound mono, wow that sounds a little hefty dont you think? i use 100 pound

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

Personally I don't use a spreader bar. But I would like to know what you guys think the advantage of useing one is? When ever I have tried, it always came back up in a big knot. So I just don't use them. I hook my weight right onto my mainline. Then a chain swivel to my leader? Am I doing it all wrong?

Take only what you need.

I've seen this tangled mess too. Not that I'd EVER do this...but, don't forget that the weight ties to the short end, and the bait ties to the long end -- not the other way round or you will get the tangled mess every time [:p]

There are a couple of sizes of Halibut spreaders too. The bigger ones tend to work better as they keep the hooks out further from your line.

On the Halibut.net site, they recommend attaching a glow stick to the spreader and now make a $30 glow-in-the-dark spreader bar. Designed to catch more fishermen I think....

60 or 70 lb leader to your bait is more than strong enough for halibut fishing unless you want to be anchored to bottom by your bait hook. best luck for me isto useplugcut herring, catch salmon sometimes as a bonus. you shoulduse some 20 or 30lb to your weightso you can bust off quick on a snag,use ball bearing swivels on yourbaitleader i find it outfishes other setups. bent coathangers make good spreader bars if your outof ss ones.if you get tangled on the way to bottom shorten you leader lines.

Thanks for the input everyone.
SUSHIHUNTER - I've enjoyed your videos on Utube. Looks like you've had quite a few good days fishing up there.
One more question - How far does your weight hang below the spreader bar? I assume that you want to be pretty close to the bottom.

Thanks for the comment on my videos! I have a lot of fun putting them together. What I do need though is a dedicated cameraman so I can deal with the guests full time. That's one reason you see my friends a lot in the videos - I can leave them alone while I film for a bit - as long as there are no rocks or shallow spots for Rick to run over :D:D:D

As far as weights on spreader bars is concerned, I've just clipped mine onto the short side. I've thought about putting it on a drop line, but never bothered. It is a good idea though to put it on a dropper line of a foot or so.

I also like the long tubular shaped leads that you can get. Puts a little more distance between you and the bottom.

I've been tending more to a big circle hook snelled onto 100# test line and sharpened to a razor point. Chunks of Salmon, Octopus, Squid, and/or herring.

One thing I've done lately when I can, is cut the white skin off the bottom of the Halibut. I then cut it into 1" wide strips about 6" to 12" long and put one or two on the hook to wave in the current.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I agree with Bee15 caught lots with a cutplug even got the odd nice spring another trick is use a large Hootchie skirt and stick a hole herring inside. But the main reason your getting tangled is prob just what buddy said your prob putting the weight on the long end. Try coat hangers they work great for spreader bars and alot cheaper. Bee15 sounds like someone that taught me about Halibut fishing.Is this the green can man?

Back