Whats the best 10.5 foot mooching rod?

For the cost.. Fetha styx.. Down rigger model.. No cork or foam
to destroy.!!

They don't make a comparable in the states...But if i lived down in Washington I would get a Fetha Styx Downrigger Rod...I used one all last season and it is incredible...Extremely responsive,durable, and strong when you need it.

I saw the FethaStyx a while ago at Cabela's and was thinking about them ever since.
Bought one yesterday at the Sportsman's show, 10% off ($180). Talked about a custom one, but worked out to too much ($425).
Turns out there make 2 models that are similar:
The Downrigger Rod, and the Motor Moocher.
The Motor Moocher is meant to be mated with the single action reel (M1, 2/4000GT, Islander, etc.) and is actually called the BC Moocher on their website, while the downrigger rod is meant for the american type reels.
The two visible differences being the length of the butt, and the type/position of the first guide.
The Motor Moocher has a larger firts guide that is positioned further away from the shaft to accommodate the angle of the line coming to it from the single action reel.
The Motor Moocher has a shorer Butt, about an inch and 1/2 maybe?
This is from the Rod Care section of their website:
"Avoid hitting your rod with weights and lures. And things like tailgates, door jambs and ceiling fans are not a friend of your rod tip. Avoid contact between them."

The Butt on the FethaStyx BC Moocher is almost 2 inches longer than the Fenwihck Elte Tech.

I wanted the shorter butt BC Moocher over the DR model. With my Scotty Downrigger Rod Holder, using the 1117 Bigwater Pro Pack, the longer the butt the more pressure it seems to put on the rod holder where it goes into the base, and they start to 'turn' and wear down the little teeth. The shorter butts tend no to do it to the same degree. This is in the forward rod holder, the I turn to be parallel to the rigger arm.

When you're looking at these rods, pick up a few because the diameter for the fore grip varies from rod to rod. Find the size that feels best in your hands.

I got the same rod for Christmas, pairing it with an MR3, first time I've had an Islander or a rod worth more than $20. Interested to see what it all feels like.

Still wish they reversed the sound on the Islanders though...

That combo will work great on those slabs off of Wilf and Blunden ;)

I'm always looking for the Big Fish.
This is another Medium-Heavy, also paired with an MR3.

If I can remember I'll post a review of the two different rods once I get to fishing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much are you looking to spend?
Fenwicks HMX mooching rods are also pretty popular they usually run around $150 same with the techniums.
/QUOTE]

I think they were $99 today at the boat show.

Rogue Rods.....

I only saw one at the show, cant remember, it was either $289, or $489.

Minus shipping...still worth it ;) They don't make mooching rods anymore though...

Sage Mooching Rods are back, had them at the boat show for $699. Looked great, and felt great. But didn't take one home.

Saw a smokin' deal on some Daiwa Coastals....$40 each....very hard to argue with that....if anyone is looking for a rod with good action and power for big WCVI Chinooks....You can't argue with that!!!

Anyone used the Fenwick Elite Tech rods? I liked the HMX 1st and 2nd gen but they didn't hold up to guiding in Haida Gwaii... mind you each rod caught around 1000 salmon... but the butt cap fell off quickly and once the tip went I could never repair them properly... Really enjoyed the Trophy XL Titan rods, Technium are strong but too heavy for me, convergence is heavy too but have good action.. HMX is too weak, but I put them through hell so maybe thats unfair... really all of them are good rods though, just depends on what what you like. Have yet to try a GLoomis 1265, I bet I'd like it though.

just picked up a tiro of Amundsons Savvy Mooching Conqueror Rods
at the boat show from steveston marine @ $80 ea
med heavy 15-25lb line
thats not a bad deal
tip section could do with one or two more guides

guide rods would go with a deffo good e-glass rod
unless the client knows how to fish and you can let them use the nice rods......lol
if you dare break it u buy it motto....

Back