Whats the best 10.5 foot mooching rod?

pescador

Just picked up two new MR2's I want to match them with a couple of new rods. Looking for what you guys think is the best mooching rod out there. I've been using Trophy XL's the last 6 years. I'm happy with them, but, the quality doesn't match Islander. Kinda like putting a Kirkland battery in your new 450SL. What do you think is the best rod out there for downrigger fishing on the West Coast?

How much are you looking to spend?
Best Rods for the price I think would be the Shimano Techniums, Awesome rod! never heard a complaint about them.
Also the Shimano Convergence are good rods for the price, Think i paid $100 for mine a couple years ago
Fenwicks HMX mooching rods are also pretty popular they usually run around $150 same with the techniums.
I save the expensive gear for flyfishing/Centerpin (sage,Loomis,Lamiglas) Although I take good care of my rods,I take buddies out on the boat often who may have a few sodas in them, so when its not only me handling the rod, they wont be top of the line rods

Ive been running 2 Convergences and 2 Techniums, Both great rods for trolling/ the technium has a softer tip than the convergence which I like.
Thought about trying out the HMX's for Next year,What are your guys/gals thoughts on those rods?

For the cost.. Fetha styx.. Down rigger model.. No cork or foam
to destroy.!!

How much are you looking to spend?
Best Rods for the price I think would be the Shimano Techniums, Awesome rod! never heard a complaint about them.
Also the Shimano Convergence are good rods for the price, Think i paid $100 for mine a couple years ago
Fenwicks HMX mooching rods are also pretty popular they usually run around $150 same with the techniums.
I save the expensive gear for flyfishing/Centerpin (sage,Loomis,Lamiglas) Although I take good care of my rods,I take buddies out on the boat often who may have a few sodas in them, so when its not only me handling the rod, they wont be top of the line rods

Ive been running 2 Convergences and 2 Techniums, Both great rods for trolling/ the technium has a softer tip than the convergence which I like.
Thought about trying out the HMX's for Next year,What are your guys/gals thoughts on those rods?

I run all hmx's with my islanders. Love them. Soft tip decent back bone. I do own one converence but it sits with elastics around it under the seats.

Lorne

I also run the Fenwick HMX 10.6. Great rods for mooching or trolling. Plus if you break one they will replace it under warranty no questions asked.

well i asked this question a while back and most shot the high end rods down
sage g-loomis featherstyx

the best bang for buck or workhorse rod seamed to be the Shimano CONVERGENCE
but most of the rods in the $90- $200 range perform really well

look at the Ralaplas north coasters admunsons redingtons fenwicks
and most of the Canadain downrigger rods based on the (1265- loomis 4110-sage type blank's)

if when you go to purchase take one of your reels along and feel how sits when on the rod also make sure it fits into the reel seat nice and secure as i had a Mr3 pop out and nearly went overboard

tight lines john

My vote is Shimano Techniums as well. They take a pounding in the guide enviroment and stand up well! ( Make sure you get the model with the ceramic eyes tho)

IMHO #1 Sage, #2 Loomis, #3 Technium. For the money Shimano Techniums are the best rod for the least price they are incredibly tough, yet responsive. More durable and much less brittle than any Shimano Convergence in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Shimano Techniums appear to be a rod that Shimano only sells in Canada. Any idea what the similar rod is in the U.S. market?

They don't make a comparable in the states...But if i lived down in Washington I would get a Fetha Styx Downrigger Rod...I used one all last season and it is incredible...Extremely responsive,durable, and strong when you need it.

The Shimano Techniums appear to be a rod that Shimano only sells in Canada. Any idea what the similar rod is in the U.S. market?

I fished the last two summers with HMX's with about 40 days use each summer with no issues. I even pulled in a few chickens with them out at the bank.... I fished Lami's before that for quite a few seasons and I would say they are similar except the price. If you are going to spend around $300/ rod then I would go with the G-Loomis or Lamiglass . I have not fished the Techniums or any of the Sage line up but they seem to get a good billing. Here's a few shots of the HMX in Action! lol :)

Attachments

• 1stSpring.jpg
    1stSpring.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 306
  • New Gear.jpg
    New Gear.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 495
My vote is Shimano Techniums as well. They take a pounding in the guide enviroment and stand up well! ( Make sure you get the model with the ceramic eyes tho)
X2 hooktender68. I have 2 TNC M106MH2's and love em.For $150 you can't beat them.The only rod I like better is
the G Loomis SAR1265BC,but they're close to double the price of the Techniums.

I have both Techniums and Rapala North Coast Classic Moocher. Both are excellent, with good action. Like the handles on the Classic Moocher better. Busted 2 Techniciums and 1 Classic Moocher over the years, so no rod is bullet proof - no matter how good it is.

Back