Mashed potatoes
Tiramisu
Fruit tarts
Lee's donuts
Cookies
Fruit platter
Rum

Obsurd.

In what has become something of a tradition for Christmas Dinner around here...

A well stuffed & seasoned Pheasant into the clay baker.

HmoxXIw.jpg

Slow cooked of course.

IdC9Uz3.jpg

Served up with it's own stuffing, spouts and candied yams.

g5L5nQ0.jpg

Candlelight for two:

3UoYb5w.jpg

And of course the mandatory Merlot!

avnSc9e.jpg

I like the reverse sear method.
Season with salt and pepper. Hit the smoker at 225 degrees and smoke until the internal temp gets up to around 125F. Remove and tent with foil to rest for 20-30 mins. Save the juice for the au jus sauce.
While waiting for the meat to rest, heat up the oven or BBQ to 500F. Put the roast on a skillet and inside the oven for 10-15 mins until there’s a nice bark and the internal temp gets to your preferred doneness. I usually remove from heat when the probe gets to 145F. Let it rest on a cutting board for 20-30 mins and volah.

Curious of your method, Smoked lots of stuff! but never a prime rib. Best Regards

It's super easy, just make a paste of olive oil, grainy mustard, fresh garlic, rosemary and thyme and coat the entire roast about 12h before smoking. Remove from the fridge 1.5h before you put it in the smoker and I then salt and pepper season the roast with super course Genoa salt and fresh cracked pepper. Bring the smoker up to 250 degrees with the smoke roiling. A 5lb roast like that one takes right on 3 hours, remove let stand for 20 mins and medium rare. It's about 128F when it comes out of the smoker and no need to reverse sear at all.

It's a slow cooked process so sometimes I don't even bother to tie between the bones.

For the paste, I generally follow this here plus the mustard.

Marinade Paste:
3/4 cup olive oil
10 plump cloves fresh garlic
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup of grainey mustard.

Had an orphans Christmas on xmas day with a few friends. Cooked smoked pork ribs with homemade bbq sauce, smoked duck with orange cointreau sauce and gravy, mac and cheese, fennel orange and pomegranate salad, a big charcuterie spread, green bean casserole, scalloped potatoes, honey butter carrots. Was cooking for 8 hours straight lol. Was worth it!

Attachments

• 7E51E06A-4CA9-4FF7-B765-67257677CDFC.jpeg
    7E51E06A-4CA9-4FF7-B765-67257677CDFC.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 34
  • FAA4A27C-E3A6-4D52-8C53-36CC512DCC6E.jpeg
    FAA4A27C-E3A6-4D52-8C53-36CC512DCC6E.jpeg
    677.6 KB · Views: 34
Reverse seared steaks on the smoker
Jalapeño poppers
Spinach dip with French bread
Zucchini sticks
Bacon wrapped scallops.

Washed it down with a gingerale . No booze unfortunately as been battling the plague for the last 6 days . Hoping to find some energy to get out for a fish tomorrow. Boat is hooked up to truck. Was the plan to get out today as well but couldn’t get out of bed ..

Fish chowder.
These are the ingredients and the order they go into the pot.
Cubed shoulder bacon, butter and evoo, diced veg, flour for roux, Hali broth, home canned tomatoes, herbs and spices, pre-boiled cubed spuds, lower heat, canned clams, cream, cubed ling, peeled Argy prawns.
With low heat the lingcod stayed in cubes and the prawns were done in one minute. Not a pretty meal but tasted good.
IMG_20231231_180219301.jpg

Last night dinner was lobster tails (4oz) broiled with garlic butter, pan fried vegs and rice. Only got a photo of prep and not cooked. We ate it to fast.

I prefer prawns but they had the lobster tail on sale for $4.75 each. They were tasty and tender.

Happy New Year

Attachments

• lobster tails.jpg
    lobster tails.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 20
  • Mixed vegs.jpg
    Mixed vegs.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 20
Hot Dogs, with horseradish mustard and German sauerkraut. Nothing but big red rocks and small dungees when snorkeling today. happy new year.View attachment 101340
I finally took a chance on the big red rocks two summers ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I had never seen them that big until I went to Bamfield. I am a fan now.

Back