What's for dinner tonight ?

Yesterday we went to $5 Fridays at Safeway in the US. Picked up 8 pieces of deep-fried chicken $5 reg price $12 and there was a lineup that took 4 minutes to get our order, but it was piping hot. Sushi rolls were also $5 each, so picked up spice tuna, California, and crunchy rolls $15, reg price $28.

Had a great sushi lunch and only ate 4 of the chicken. What a deal, all for $20 with leftovers.

Ate all the sushi before I could get a photo but got a photo of my wife’s two chicken pieces.

I wish we had $5 Fridays in Canada.

Attachments

• $5 Fri chicken.jpg
    $5 Fri chicken.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 20
Yesterday we went to $5 Fridays at Safeway in the US. Picked up 8 pieces of deep-fried chicken $5 reg price $12 and there was a lineup that took 4 minutes to get our order, but it was piping hot. Sushi rolls were also $5 each, so picked up spice tuna, California, and crunchy rolls $15, reg price $28.

Had a great sushi lunch and only ate 4 of the chicken. What a deal, all for $20 with leftovers.

Ate all the sushi before I could get a photo but got a photo of my wife’s two chicken pieces.

I wish we had $5 Fridays in Canada.
Nope, we get the shaft with grocers now at record breaking profits in history.

Those items were on super sale and regular items are super expensive. We bring the a lot of stuff with us in our suit case and here are a few example.
-dry soup package $1.25 in Canada, here $4 c
-a pint of 50/50 cream $3 in Canada, here $6.50c I didn't bring it.
- and the killer is Stove top stuffing $.97 in Canada and $5 c on sale here
-Crown Royal 26oz $25 in Canada and now $33c here on sale

I'm in Oahu and these prices are from Safeway and not in the core of the city.
Prices have really gone up here too and if you shop in the core of the city things are 25% more.

Attachments

• noodle soup.jpg
    noodle soup.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 9
  • pint of 50 50.jpg
    pint of 50 50.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 9
  • stove top.jpg
    stove top.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 9
Nope, we get the shaft with grocers now at record breaking profits in history.
I’m glad that in Vancouver and other parts of the lower mainland that there are actual independent grocery stores (not the Loblaw’s BS) that have high quality produce for cheap. Shopping at some of those places can really make a difference. For example, we get local honeycrisp apples at Donald’s Market for $1.30/lb vs $3.99/lb at the usual suspects. Costco for bulk staples helps too. Between that and growing a decent amount in the summer in our small front yard, we’ve been able to keep the grocery bill manageable, without forking over too much of our scratch to pricks like Uncle Jimmy and Galen. I’ve spent some time working in Calgary, and their grocery situation blows - pretty much dominated by over-priced chains.

401467937_876993577761045_2665031369925655305_n.jpg

Had a deep fried whole chicken, brined 2 hrs coarse sea salt, (amazes me how much residual blood is drawn out) patted and air dried for a bit then deep fried @ 350/ 30mins super moist mmmm.:)
All my chicken goes into a saltwater brine before cooking, wings, whole bird or whatever. It is a shocker to see how much blood comes out. I guess its just the fast process time to get it to the market. Sometimes after the saltwater soak I do buttermilk bath for an hour or two.

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly, it's rare. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert, Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming " WOO HOO what a ride!" MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Hunter S Thompson is said to be original author.

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly, it's rare. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert, Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming " WOO HOO what a ride!" MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Hunter S Thompson is said to be original author.

I'd love to believe there's a spice version of this out there which would be more in tune with how hunter embraced the darker side of life...

We have been walking past a place called Musubi Café Iyasume for the last few days and every day there is a line-up. It’s only a take out place.

For lunch today we stopped in and picked up 2 tuna balls and 2 BBQ eel, egg, spam Musubis (photo). They were great and nothing like they sound like and they are served warm and no soya sauce needed. I'm not a spam fan, but I am now.

Here is what their web site says:
We make our own(Nigiru) our Musubi and rice balls by using delicious Koshihikari Rice and they are all handmade as you order..
From the foundation in 2000 to the present, we use the finest Californian Premium Koshihikari, Tamaki Gold.
There are various kinds of Spam musubi, such as teriyaki spam with exquisite, sweet and salty (Amakara) seasoning, with the creative style and original combination. Plum Cucumber Spam Musubi, Avocado Bacon Egg Spam Musubi, Eel Egg Spam Musubi, Takuan Pickles Spam Musubi, and other rice balls that the combination of Japanese and Hawaiian culinary traditions servings.

Attachments

• Eel egg spam rice Musubi.jpg
    Eel egg spam rice Musubi.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 29
We have been walking past a place called Musubi Café Iyasume for the last few days and every day there is a line-up. It’s only a take out place.

For lunch today we stopped in and picked up 2 tuna balls and 2 BBQ eel, egg, spam Musubis (photo). They were great and nothing like they sound like and they are served warm and no soya sauce needed. I'm not a spam fan, but I am now.

Here is what their web site says:
We make our own(Nigiru) our Musubi and rice balls by using delicious Koshihikari Rice and they are all handmade as you order..
From the foundation in 2000 to the present, we use the finest Californian Premium Koshihikari, Tamaki Gold.
There are various kinds of Spam musubi, such as teriyaki spam with exquisite, sweet and salty (Amakara) seasoning, with the creative style and original combination. Plum Cucumber Spam Musubi, Avocado Bacon Egg Spam Musubi, Eel Egg Spam Musubi, Takuan Pickles Spam Musubi, and other rice balls that the combination of Japanese and Hawaiian culinary traditions servings.
Koshihikari rice is really good. You can get at T&T. Highly suggest as an alternative to other white rice types when serving with a grilled piece of salmon or other fish

Back