What's for dinner tonight ?

IMG_1921.JPG Not dinner but smoked sidestripe sandwiches were a big hit with my kids for lunch

So... Night before last we got to a whiole whitetail shoulder.
Roasted to Perfection, Tender, Juicy YUMMY!
icon_biggrin.gif

3_point_2.jpg

Slow Roasted 2.5+ hours with taters, onions, garlic etc
And accompanied by another good red
icon_biggrin.gif

Then as per our usual schedule, a great batch of Whitetail Stew was created from the leftovers (after allowing the main bone to simmer a few hours).
Again, rather Good!
Pozitive.gif

Today I'm into Round Three of this project, and again on track for our usual program.
A dozen Whitetail Meat Pies will wander out of the oven in a few hours now.
Suspect they might be reasonably good too...
wink.gif

Fair bit of mileage from one generous cut...

Cheers,
Nog

White wine garlic spot prawns : lots of garlic ,good stick of butter ,olive oil , leave the shells on the prawns and cut the back shell and meat half way.. and pull
the meat out half way out of the shell but still attached ,so much flavour in the shell ... sear it all together on high heat splash white wine in the end 1 min - 1 min1/2
cutting it like that the meat gets so plumpy ..

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Oysters in the half shell on the bbq.Butter ,teriyaki,and garic was my favorite.Carefull the shells can explode.Where eye protection when cooking this way.100_1002.JPG100_1002.JPG

50% venison 25% pork 25% bear. Hunter sausage.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 51
Hey no prob. I've got the box and I have a canvas bag I put over my smoker. Still not hot enough for sausage. So I smoke them first (no box/bag) then I'll finish them off in the oven.

I put a new element in my smoker last fall and it seems to be hotter than the old one.

Anyone here have experience with an offset barrel smoker? Thinking of giving one a try.

Hey no prob. I've got the box and I have a canvas bag I put over my smoker. Still not hot enough for sausage. So I smoke them first (no box/bag) then I'll finish them off in the oven.

I put a new element in my smoker last fall and it seems to be hotter than the old one.

Anyone here have experience with an offset barrel smoker? Thinking of giving one a try.
Glad to hear it-I was a little concerned. I know you are very handy at welding-why not weld yourself a good sized smoker and have an electrician build up a 220 hotplate using the 220 burner off a stove complete with rheostat. The parts are very cheap and then you have control for sausage and anything else you want right down to cheese. Just a thought.

Yep. Im collecting the parts. Seriously wanting to try an offset smoker in the style of "pit masters". I'm thinking of an electric element in the main grilling area with the offset part able to take charcoal and wood chunks and chips.

i have a duck in the freezer a friend gave me and wondering what to do with it .... what did you put on the bird

He was definitely YUMMY alright!!

For this bird I went relatively simple:

Grate the skin of an orange with fine screen and set aside.
Quarter the orange and stuff inside bird cavity.
Put bird into roasting pan with just a little water.
Salt, pepper and garlic on the bird, and bring temp up to 425 F.
After 1/2 hour, turn down to 350.

At one hour flip the bird breast side down, and back in oven.

Mix one 6-8 oz can of frozen orange juice concentrate with 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup Dijon mustard.
Mix in about 1/2 the grated orange peel, and a shot of Roasted Garlic & Red Pepper Spice.
Stir & Heat gently until fairly thick.

Baste back of bird with the glaze at one and 1/2 hours.
At 2 hours baste the back with glaze again, then roll over breast side up.
Glaze the breast side and place back into oven with roasting pan lid now OFF.

Repeat glaze as required. Can bring temperature up if bird is close to 160 degrees internal.
When skin & glaze is Crispy, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.

Prep accompaniments, carve bird and serve with copious quantities of good dry red.

Bon Appetite! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

And now for something completely different !!! ( well a hell of a lot easier !:p )

Easy meal..... Take two chinook fillets and marinate them for an hour in teriyaki sauce, splash of sesame oil, some roasted sesame seeds and small amount of 5-spice . Fire up the BBQ and place the skinless fillets on a tin BBQ tray. 400 degrees until they flake easily.. dont over cook. Take a lb of asparagus, and marinate it in a shallow dish with light soya sauce , splash of sesame oil, and a dash of 5 spice. Let marinate for the same time as the fish. Stir fry the asparagus in the marinate and a table spoon of brown sugar.. When it bubbles and turns brown-- serve with fresh cooked buns and a beer ( or two )

Back