What's for dinner tonight ?

Im out of town working eating hot dogs and drinking beer . All this food looks good . Anyone around Duncan / Chemainus want to take me fishing ? :p

Looks amazing, what's in the tomatoes? Do you ever cross mark the steaks? I rotate soon as the first sear is loosed off, makes em look all pretty haha!!

I only do cross marks if it’s a very thick steak. Most steaks I only flip once… The tasty concoction you were questioning, is red peppers stuffed with goat cheese. It’s a thing I’ve just been doing over the last six months or so and it’s so good

I only do cross marks if it’s a very thick steak. Most steaks I only flip once… The tasty concoction you were questioning, is red peppers stuffed with goat cheese. It’s a thing I’ve just been doing over the last six months or so and it’s so good

Ya makes good sense, grill needs to be hot af and it can easily over cook less than 1.5" thick steak.

So, just a halved red pepper, olive oil and goat cheese basically? You grill it for the entire time the steaks are on?

Well done! Well medium rare in fact but you get the idea.

Last edited:
This was my weekend duty, so I could earn enough points to disappear for my rapid fire trip Monday and Tuesday this week....this was the prep stage clearly and I roast them at 400, loosely stuffed, 45 mins boob down, then 15 mins each leg up and finally 1 hour boob up, 13lb bird done perfectly in 2.5 h tops, don't even need to brine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-202309_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-202309_Gallery.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 55
Ya makes good sense, grill needs to be hot af and it can easily over cool less than 1.5" thick steak.

So, just a halved red pepper, olive oil and goat cheese basically? You grill it for the entire time the steaks are on?

Well done! Well medium rare in fact but you get the idea.
Yep that’s pretty much the recipe I believe… she probably hits it with a little s and p as well.

start the peppers around the same time on the lower grill. I keep the steak side pretty cranked and turn the veggie side to medium/low. I like a sear on my steaks but not over cooked.
When I flip the steaks at the 4ish minute mark I move the peppers to the top rack. Timing works out that so everything can come off around 8-9 mins. Asparagus also cooks the same time but on the top rack the whole time and I roll them when I flip the steak. It’s an art form!

Last edited:
For me, I'm an old school steak house sort of sear guy. I crank the old crown verity up as hot as it can get it for 10 mins which on natural gas is about 700 or so. I take the steaks out about an hour before and season with gigantic salt and course pepper...just before grilling I hit them with a bit of oil and then sear 2 mins lid down, rotate 90 degrees another 2 mins and so on for the other side, I never adjust the heat, veggies be damned! This is for 2" steaks, typically strips or I have been buying filets lately too. The butcher nearby has tritips which are a blast, not easy to find these around our part of town anyway.

Damn, I'm hungry now!

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and assume he's going to wrap it, pronto!
Kind of late after 13 hrs already no ?? Most will hit the wrap point 160 to 165 ish at about 6 - 7 hrs Then another 6 wrapped. I would think his sat at the stall point for a while it can sit there for quite some time being unwrapped.

But hey,, everyone has their own method the wrapped unwrapped challenge will never be solved lol. I’m sure it’s going to be a great piece of meat.

Funny cause we keep having the same conversation. I really imo think it depends on what part of the brisket, how much fat cap etc. Because if you wrap it and cook it then the bark goes softer like almost steamed.

So far my fav is non wrapped, no injections, just a good rub and let it dry age in the rub vac locked for a few days at least

This one I did

Blackened Saskatchewan
Pepper
Salt
Mustard powder
Garlic powder

Not too much of either one just enough of each seasoning depending on how salty or strong the seasoning is. Balance of each if that makes sense

Kind of late after 13 hrs already no ?? Most will hit the wrap point 160 to 165 ish at about 6 - 7 hrs Then another 6 wrapped. I would think his sat at the stall point for a while it can sit there for quite some time being unwrapped.

But hey,, everyone has their own method the wrapped unwrapped challenge will never be solved lol. I’m sure it’s going to be a great piece of meat.
I base it on the bark. Sometimes if it hits the stall early I'll let it go longer until it's nice and black.

Funny cause we keep having the same conversation. I really imo think it depends on what part of the brisket, how much fat cap etc. Because if you wrap it and cook it then the bark goes softer like almost steamed.
For sure that happens if you don't have a strong enough bark.

I don't think we have perfected the brisket, even after too many to count. It's tough to get bark and still juicy. Sometimes it comes out dry a bit trying to hit that 205. Last one I did did not and it was a small piece from this same brisket. I dunno the art of the brisket lol. Sometimes I'm wanting to take it off at 190 or 200 and then wrap it and take it off the heat and let it rest in the oven, heat off for a bit.

I don't think we have perfected the brisket, even after too many to count. It's tough to get bark and still juicy. Sometimes it comes out dry a bit trying to hit that 205. Last one I did did not and it was a small piece from this same brisket. I dunno the art of the brisket lol. Sometimes I'm wanting to take it off at 190 or 200 and then wrap it and take it off the heat and let it rest in the oven, heat off for a bit.
Resting is a must. We generaly pull ours at around the 205/215 range and wrap in towels and if possible place on a cooler for min 1 hr before slicing.

But you are right, some cuts of meat are good some are just not. Tough is tough and I’ve noticed in the last couple years it’s getting worse. It seems very rare this day and age to get a decent tender piece of meat. My hypothesis is it’s the killing method. Animals are to stressed out before the kill and to much use of the prod before the kill. No time and no pride anymore. The high quality stuff is all gone to the high end restaurants unless you buy private and local.

Resting is a must. We generaly pull ours at around the 205/215 range and wrap in towels and if possible place on a cooler for min 1 hr before slicing.

But you are right, some cuts of meat are good some are just not. Tough is tough and I’ve noticed in the last couple years it’s getting worse. It seems very rare this day and age to get a decent tender piece of meat. My hypothesis is it’s the killing method. Animals are to stressed out before the kill and to much use of the prod before the kill. No time and no pride anymore. The high quality stuff is all gone to the high end restaurants unless you buy private and local.
Took the words out of my mouth. Sometimes I rest for 12 hours or more. Quality of the meat is key. And lastly, you can't pre-cut. It has to be cut to order and it WILL dry out. I'm pretty good at brisket and it's still a tough nut to crack.

Back