What's for dinner tonight ?

The view is amazing even without the meat!
Thanks, it is pretty awesome. What you don't see is the hundred year old home we had to buy to get this gorgeous property. It's pretty bad when the kitchen table is the only place in the house that I can stage a food photo because the rest of it is too embarrassing. Oh well, if these construction costs ever correct themselves we will achieve our goals.

A good buddy dropped off a huge bag of Manila & Butter Clams.
Soaked overnight in salt water to let them spit the grit.
Now wondering just what to toss in with some for din-din...

7199EEU.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

7199EEU.jpg

Cheers,
Nog
Off topic for What’s for dinner but just wondering if you ever add oatmeal in your water when you let them sit to spit the sand? Something we always did to a bucket of clams.

7199EEU.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Took a good handful of those wonderful clams, tossed them in a pot with a little white wine, butter and garlic. Steamed them lightly while prepping the compliments.

Spot Prawns on the BarBee:

YSIpg2U.jpg

Our first feed of the year from our own Spare Gooses:

M43wFnC.jpg

Then added in some cheesy garlic toast to round things out:

2UcTzEg.jpg

All local, all fresh. Fantastic Munchies all round!
1f60d.png

Cheers,
Nog

Took a good handful of those wonderful clams, tossed them in a pot with a little white wine, butter and garlic. Steamed them lightly while prepping the compliments.

Spot Prawns on the BarBee:

YSIpg2U.jpg

Our first feed of the year from our own Spare Gooses:

M43wFnC.jpg

Then added in some cheesy garlic toast to round things out:

2UcTzEg.jpg

All local, all fresh. Fantastic Munchies all round!
1f60d.png

Cheers,
Nog
Looks delicious and are those new placemats?

Today I find myself reporting on an experiment that didn't go quite as well as planned...

Ran into some Fiddleheads at the grocers the other day. My Lady & I love these things, and are used to steaming them with white wine, a little butter and a hint of lemon garlic. However, having had resounding success air frying asparagus, we thought perhaps that would work with these as well. Try as I might, I could not find any recipes to do that in any of my cookbooks nor online...

So we set out to try it on for ourselves, Cleaned and trimmed the fiddleheads:

loMpM50.jpg

Then lightly spray oiled them and added a touch of salt & pepper. Set aside while I prepped the whitetail sirloin tenders for the grill:

tneftTG.jpg

ee9Lxsf.jpg

While those were wrapping up to medium rare (accent on the rare thanks) the fiddleheads went into a pre-warmed air fryer at 360 degrees for 3 minutes. They needed a little more, so a good shake then back at the same heat for 2 minutes to finish.

Served up with Cheesy Spinach Dip Pasta and a good red:

JoRz48K.jpg

rxOMHRb.jpg

The whitetail was brilliant, and the pasta very good too.
However the fiddleheads left something to be desired. In order to be thoroughly cooked they dried out more than I would have liked, leaving them with an almost "leathery" texture. The flavor was great, kind of nutty actually. But given their consistency I will not be repeating that experiment again.

Lesson learned. Guess there was a reason I could not find any recipes do do this. Hope others will benefit from this discovery...

Cheers,
Nog

• Fiddleheads:
  • Health risks. A number of foodborne illness outbreaks (also known as "food poisoning") from eating raw or undercooked fiddleheads have been reported in Canada and the United States since 1994.
  • Cleaning. Using your fingers, remove as much of the brown papery husk on the fiddlehead as possible. ...
  • Cooking. Cook fiddleheads in a generous amount of boiling water for 15 minutes, or steam them for 10 to 12 minutes until tender.
  • Freezing. Clean the fiddleheads properly. Boil them for two minutes. Discard the cooking water. Plunge the fiddleheads into cold water and drain.
After boiling them, I cool them in water and then, do a quick pan fry in garlic butter.

This is one of the threads I haven't paid a ton of attention to over the years, but DAMN! I am sure learning a few things from your chefs and will be giving some of them a spin. Thanks for all the efforts and ideas!

• Fiddleheads:
  • Health risks. A number of foodborne illness outbreaks (also known as "food poisoning") from eating raw or undercooked fiddleheads have been reported in Canada and the United States since 1994.
  • Cleaning. Using your fingers, remove as much of the brown papery husk on the fiddlehead as possible. ...
  • Cooking. Cook fiddleheads in a generous amount of boiling water for 15 minutes, or steam them for 10 to 12 minutes until tender.
  • Freezing. Clean the fiddleheads properly. Boil them for two minutes. Discard the cooking water. Plunge the fiddleheads into cold water and drain.
After boiling them, I cool them in water and then, do a quick pan fry in garlic butter.

Well understand all of that, but wanted to try on the air fryer. Some things simply aren't conducive to that.
We generally steam them in white wine with a little lemon garlic, then a quick swim through HOT lemon garlic butter in the fry pan.

Delicious little buggers.

More ideas here: https://food52.com/blog/6583-fiddlehead-fern-a-controversial-coil

Cheers

Managed to get it right this time around...

Cleaned & Trimmed:

PGWSiaU.jpg

Gently steamed for 4 or 5 minutes in white wine & lightly salted water.
Then quickly tossed through a hot frying pan of butter, a smidge of white wine & lemon garlic:

3G1Npwi.jpg

Same time that was working, right beside it was a pan of prawns in the same kind of butter base:

zldC0tC.jpg

And the air fryer was working on breaded Calamari,while the stove looked after cheesy garlic toast:

0xvkBHi.jpg

The fiddleheads certainly looked a heck of a lot better:

6VwWhCr.jpg

Served up with Tzatziki sauce and a fine Merlot:

VQ9GLD2.jpg

The fiddleheads were excellent in flavor with nice subtle crunch.
MUCH Better!!

Cheers,
Nog

Back