What's for dinner tonight ?

Man all of these amazing looking meals! And so many of them made with ingredients harvested from our own waters and forests! Great to see lot's of forum members contributing to this great forum thread.

Man the oyster meals you guys have been making look so good. Has been a long time since I harvested any and cooked them up fresh. Do you guys that are harvesting your own on our coast find any particular time of year the best for harvesting them? And do you guys like larger or smaller ones better? Any tips greatly appreciated. Picked them a fair bit when I was younger but haven't for a long time. Gotta get back into it. Such a excellent resource of them here and must add them to our locally sourced food list especially since we are getting F'd on the salmon retention so badly now.

Night before last I took out too much Ling Cod for our Panko Ling dinner.
So yesterday I was thinking of ways to use up the leftovers.
Chowder...

No less than seven kinds of seafood: Prawns, Scallops, Crab, Clams, Ling Cod, Halibut & Maple Smoked Salmon.
Mixed in with chicken stock, taters, onions, carrots, celery, corn, heavy cream and that wonderful Bow River Blend from the Silk Road Shop.
Forgot to mention a good splash of 2020 Sauvignon Blanc.

Four quarts & change:

ar3DffS.jpg

First time I have ever tried this with Smoked Salmon.
From here on it will be a required ingredient!

Served up with cheesy garlic toast:

tYHymRC.jpg

The perfect answer on yet another wet & windy eve.

Pressure canning the balance today in anticipation of eventual more wet weather down the road.

Cheers,
Nog
We never make chowder without smoked salmon. If your in a bind, canned salmon and a few shakes of liquid smoke works or a can of smoked oysters chopped up is also a winner

Dark wet & windy night.
Decided to forgo any thoughts of the BarBee and make a whitetail shoulder roast instead.

Took some of the garlic scape pesto we made last summer, mixed that with Greek Spice, Olive Oil, Onion, Dry Mustard, a shot of Dijon Mustard and a splash of Sauvignon Blanc for the glaze:

820lsgv.jpg

Well covered, then into the clay baker:

SNleExW.jpg

Man does the house ever smell GREAT when that stuff is cooking!!

A little over an hour & 1/2 at 320 degrees, and time to rest:

jxMueg5.jpg

Falling off the bone tender:

q5Losye.jpg

Served up with stuffed taters, a fresh garden salad, and a fine Merlot:

6NEPneU.jpg

Was excellent!

Obviously lots of leftovers as my Lady and I simply can't chow down an entire shoulder between us.
And that ain't a bad thing as this latest coastal storm continues to hammer us...
Whitetail Stroganoff tonight methinks.

Cheers,
Nog

To cure my sadness about my boat being out of commission (and celebrate my birthday) we had pizza night with the fam. Always fun to fire up the pizza oven.
View attachment 77228View attachment 77229
(There we’re a lot more pizzas but I got tired of taking photos and got too hungry)
Could you post a few more pics of that pizza oven,? I'm going to build one, I have all the bricks. Any tips would be appreciated!

I don’t have any pics right now, I’ll try and take some for you. I didn’t actually build it, the previous owners had it built so it’s solid concrete. The only thing I would suggest is to do a concrete floor, much nicer than the brick and easier on the dough.

I don’t have any pics right now, I’ll try and take some for you. I didn’t actually build it, the previous owners had it built so it’s solid concrete. The only thing I would suggest is to do a concrete floor, much nicer than the brick and easier on the dough.
Be careful with concrete on something like that. It can explode as the air inside expands. There are lots of really good videos online. Get your refractory brick from a good supplier and don't cheap out on materials. I had fully designed and priced one out once and then decided not to build it because my living situation wasn't set in stone (pun intended). I ended up buying my ceramic grill instead and I'm so glad I did. Makes killer pizza, burgers, smokes brisket and is on wheels. Way better choice in the end.

Whitetail Stroganoff tonight methinks.

Well that didn't quite pan out according to plan...

Was just getting ready to work that up when one of my Buddies called: Just in from the chuck.
Man, you were out there in that storm?
Yeah, it was BRUTAL!! Anyway I strongly suggest you wander by in the next few minutes...

Saddled up and ran over.
He then presented me with a nice bag of oysters, a bag of prawns, and two tail sections off a winter spring. All fresh out of the briney!
Fine fellow that one is!!

Couple feeds coming from these methinks:

n7yeEjL.jpg

Prepped for the BarBee (I don't care of it's wet & windy any more... LOL)
Bow River Blend on the salmon, Roasted Garlic & Red Peppers on the prawns.

TwqHaQT.jpg

Just a few minutes on the heat:

3bSjpKX.jpg

Served up with Honey Garlic Noodles:

NdcuuDa.jpg

Absolutely Fantastic when fresh out of the water like that!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Now maybe I can get to that Stroganoff tonight...

Cheers,
Nog

have a recipe for the broccoli? I would love to try it
I kinda just eyeball the measurements but I use ginger, a bit of garlic, some braggs liquid soy sauce and sesame oil. My favourite way to do it by far. I also will not use the braggs sometimes, or only use braggs, all the flavours go really well together so you really can’t go wrong.

After seeing Nog's chowder the other day it got me thinking that we have an insane amount of smoked tuna still and I'd hate for it to go bad. I was going to make a chowder but the Mrs. really wanted a seafood thai curry. I used a blend of smoked tuna and fresh spot prawns. Very simple to make and it worked out beautifully. 20220405_180059.jpg

After seeing Nog's chowder the other day it got me thinking that we have an insane amount of smoked tuna still and I'd hate for it to go bad. I was going to make a chowder but the Mrs. really wanted a seafood thai curry. I used a blend of smoked tuna and fresh spot prawns. Very simple to make and it worked out beautifully. View attachment 77685
Great idea.

Is that Polonia sauasage? We've been bringing home packages of it when we get down to see the kid.

Is that Polonia sauasage? We've been bringing home packages of it when we get down to see the kid.
One is Chorizo and the other is Fennel. Both from Columbus Meats in Vancouver. Those are Maui Ribs in the middle, also from there.

Back