whats beocming a popular technique/ tackle?

nedarb2

any thoughts or knowledge on new / uncommon tackle or salmon technques wich are becomg moreand more popular? it seems that 4-5 years after thhings start becmong popular on the great lake for salmon they start hitting the west coastt..
are kone-zone/fish flash flashers goignto start becoming the flasher of choice?
what about dipsy divers? when ever isee great lake slamon fishing on tv or pics they use those not downrigger
anything else new on the market?

It sure is mind boggiling, what with all the new stuff around. When I was guiding on the west coast (long time ago[8D]) we use to use about 6 different lures or combo's of. Red or green hotspot flasher, brined anchovey, white or green and white hootchies, 232, 158 and 602 tomics and for some of us buzzbombs, zingers or pirkens for jigging. And you know what....we caught fish, lots of fish[:p]. Now I sometimes get a head ache reading about army truck this, glow that, monkey puke, cop car...wow. I know they catch fish but some times it seems that we get caught up in perfection and the only thing that will work in a certain area is xxx inch leader, purple haze flasher, green chovie head with a 27 degree bend, exactly 87' and 3.3 mph land speed. If you do not do that exactly, you might as well go home. I think that sometimes we get so wrapped up in too much technology and forget that we are out there to have a good time and enjoy what the best place on earth has to offer. I believe that it is not just to catch a fish but also to enjoy the outdoors and the people you fish with.

I understand that guiding is a little different, but we caught fish on the exact stuff I used to use up to last year and see no reason to change.

Just remember that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish and that 90% of all fishing gear is designed to catch one thing...and it sure in the hell is not fish.

Just my opinion and you can correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

SS

I just bought some Great Lakes glo spoons

Don't have 'em yet though so we'll see.....

bluemoon.jpg
nitrodolphin.jpg
greenfireball.jpg
electricblueberry.jpg
bluewonderbread.jpg

Last new technique I heard about was trolling through Zellers for sockeye.
Then on to a well known tackle shop for some glow in the dark balls and flashers that have a plaid coating that is enough to make a Scot'sman start wearing paisley.
Enjoy any new toys you encounter. We all have tackle boxes full of them. They were (are) all sure fired successes.

I bought the Kone-Zone flashers and they are great. I usually run spoons or the baitrix anchovies naked with them. Nothing beats fighting a fish with no flasher.

Back