What weight oil are you guys running in your Volvo outdrives?

SteelyDan

I know volvo reccomends to run the weight of your engine oil in your outdrive but I thought I would get some opinions from our members since we are running our boats in the same climate. I hear some guys run strait 30 weight in their legs but since our legs are being ran in 50 degree fahrenheit water, Should you not choose a viscosity to suit that temperature?

You need to be specific Dan. What model is yours? Year? Does it have a brass cone clutch or steel? Duo prop? Single?

Ok, 1978 280 single prop outdrive. I'm not sure about the clutch. I already winterized it and used penzoil 30 weight in the leg.

Its most likely brass. I would run 90w gear oil, non synthetic. Brass cone clutches like to slip when used with synthetic. You can use normal engine oil if you prefer, I think 90w will offer a better lubrication than 30 or 40w.

Volvo calls for the 30w in those 280sp I would stick to that. You also have to watch out when filling not to over fill it can cause shifting problems. i have always pre measured the oil (2.75l) and you will have no problems.

THe volvo dealerships I have worked at always use 90W, just like I said. What Volvo dealerships have you been a mechanic at Cam?

Steely, I've got the 270 leg and I've always run 10/30 or 10/40 motor oil in it. Been doing this for the 11 years I've owned it. Had it "professionally" winterized the first 3 years I owned it and the shops put in 10/30 motor oil. I have the original owners manual for the Waukeshaw motor and it even says in there that the leg oil can be 10/30 or 10/40.

Hey, how did you make out with your prop situation?

I have worked at a couple of different Volvo Penta dealer ships and mercury dealerships on the island. that's what I have used on mine and customers with no problems for years. I would run the gl5 in the 290

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. but GL5 comes in synthetic and non-synthetic?

Back