What rod/reel for Casting from Rocks/Breakwater

islandboy

Looking to do some salmon fishing from the breakwater [:eek:)] , 10 mile :D , or Otter Point [8D] . What do you recomend for a Rod and Reel combination [:p] that will cast effectively for up to 4 1/2 oz buzzers, stingsildas, or Spinnows? Any other gear [8)] recomendations?

I have always looked for ways to increase my range and feel. Using a 30lb superline will cast like 8lb mono but be sensitive with little or no stretch. You might want to splice in some flourocarbon as a leader because the superline "may" spook fish.

I can't find them right now but I know there are some links out there for knots to splice the various superlines to Mono. The goal being a small and strong knot that doesn't stick on the cast.

I still like the control of my levelwind but you could probably get more distance from other options.

For rods, think 7-9ft for the areas you mentioned because you often have limited room for the back cast. From the beach I've heard of people use 15ft rods ... useless on the break water.

Cheers,
Alex

Try using clinch knots tied back to back and trim the ends close but not so close as to weaken the knot. I used this method for years to tie mono tippet material onto mono leaders and I can say with confidence that it is a very secure knot..you will break off more fish at the hook than at this knot site. That being said there are little gadgets called "leader links" or something like that...they are small tapered plastic pieces that let you attach line together without knots and they don't get got in the guides when you reel them through.Most sporting stores that sell fly fishing material and gear should have some.
quote:Originally posted by Alexievich

I have always looked for ways to increase my range and feel. Using a 30lb superline will cast like 8lb mono but be sensitive with little or no stretch. You might want to splice in some flourocarbon as a leader because the superline "may" spook fish.

I can't find them right now but I know there are some links out there for knots to splice the various superlines to Mono. The goal being a small and strong knot that doesn't stick on the cast.

I still like the control of my levelwind but you could probably get more distance from other options.

For rods, think 7-9ft for the areas you mentioned because you often have limited room for the back cast. From the beach I've heard of people use 15ft rods ... useless on the break water.

Cheers,
Alex

sorry that should read "get caught in the guides"
quote:Originally posted by kippersnack

Try using clinch knots tied back to back and trim the ends close but not so close as to weaken the knot. I used this method for years to tie mono tippet material onto mono leaders and I can say with confidence that it is a very secure knot..you will break off more fish at the hook than at this knot site. That being said there are little gadgets called "leader links" or something like that...they are small tapered plastic pieces that let you attach line together without knots and they don't get got in the guides when you reel them through.Most sporting stores that sell fly fishing material and gear should have some.
quote:Originally posted by Alexievich

Cheers,
Alex

Back