What makes a boat "fish good"

mitch184

Kind of a random post. But I was talking to a buddy about his boat and he was saying how horrible the ride was, how much gas it burned and some other negatives. When I asked why he kept it he said it fished better than any other boat he'd had. On the troll, at drift, etc.

I'm curious what aspects of a boat everyone considers make a boat fish good. Ill start.

Good layout for electronics, visibility and moving around. Doesn't try to swap ends on a drift. (Although still not quite sure how to eliminate that). Tracks good and steers good on a troll and is manueverable in tight spots. Doesn't roll too much on a troll or drift. Floats level.

I agree. The fisherman or fisherwoman in the boat. The good ones are catching fish when the rest of us are scratching our heads. 🤔

As an ex commercial troller I can attest to the fact that some boats fish much better than others. I think it is mostly due to the boat being wired and bonded correctly. I remember being on a boat fishing socs off Estevan Pt. We were top boat or near the top of the group day after day after day and then suddenly we were the bottom boat for two days. We went in and sold and found a hot wire in the bilge. We fixed that and went back out and once again were back at the head of the pack. It is really important to have the right voltage on your lines and it seems much better if that is done without devices such as a black box. For tuna I think the sound that your boat makes has an impact on how it fishes. You know the boat is fishing well when they are grabbing the jigs in the wash as you are chucking them back out.

Baptism by smiley. Only one wire.
Always get exercise. 😎
20221001_124454.jpg

Last edited:
Presenting the right bait/lure at the right place at the right time will make it fishy !
If you can figure all that out, any boat will fish well.
I fully agree. I have owned a dozen different boats from a tinny to a 30'. We caught fish in every one of them, without much effort. Forget all the voodoo about boats and focus on you and the fish.

Different boats, different setups. But getting comfortable with where gear and people need to be so everything works smoothly. Nothing worse than something like my father-in-law did to his wife -- moving with authority to net the fish, knocking her over in the process, and the fish off the line. Or fumbling for a net that's stuck on something...

I guess I was more thinking of what v features on a boat do people think make boat fish able.
To your question, here are just a few that come to mind right away:

Good reverse chines for stability when 2-3 people are on one side
Lots of rod holders
Dedicated fish locker(s)
Self bailing
Large dance floor, either at the stern or along the sides (centre console style)
A good fish-finder/sonar with large screen
Downriggers mounted where they are not in the way when netting

Can be when or where. On a calm flat day there nothing I'd rather be fishing in than a small open boat (like mine). When it gets wet and snotty, I envy those big gas sucking Hourstons.

I agree with lots said on this thread
Having said that there are fishing boats and non fishing boats, does a fishing rod make a fishing boat ? I think not
A well mounted down rigger and a good fish finder/sounder goes a long way to make a fishing boat as do storage for rods and fish locker and lack of clutter while fishing so storage is a big deal
And yes in good weather a small tinny can be a great fishing boat so all things being equal a good fishing boat can troll at the right speed, a good anchor system for bottom fishing and a good chart/gps for finding fishy spots
Any boat can hang a line in the water but that doesn’t equal fish in the boat

Back