What is with the deer this year?

adrianna3

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the yearling deer on the lower part of Vancouver island look like crap. Their coats are all patchy, ratty looking and pale, some are almost a light tan. Does anyone know if there's a parasite outbreak, like tick loading, or is this just a natural phase? I've never seen them look this bad before. None of them seem very big. I haven't noticed any fawns yet either. On a brighter note though, the adults seem fairly healthy.

Dave

I don't think it's a shedding issue. They have looked like that for most of the winter. There were six yearlings at my friends farm and only two have seemed to make it through the winter. I don't remember ever seeing the deer look this bad in the Cowichan Valley.

Dave

It some sort of flea that can get into livestock if near by. It's been seen on the deer on Denman Island and a few horses.

I've seen mange disease on a lot of yoties around the coast, usually try and dispatch em if I can.
Not many deer or elk around here get that but that patchy fur look... Like everyone said is just shedding

Maybe they are just shedding late this year? That is supposed to be one way if telling if we are going to get a warm summer or cold winter according to folklore.

If they fur up early in the fall...cold winter
If they shed early in the year.....hot spring summer
If they keep their winter coats way late....cold summer

Back