What is this?

lazoman

Sure put up a good fight, once we got it unattached from the bottom !

blob.jpg

Oh you brute! That was a huge hali but you must have set the hook soooo hard that you tore out the stomach of that fish! Your loss!:D

ithink its actually i giant sea anenome.. i "caught" one just like that if not bigger a couple summers ago

It's common name is a plumose anemone, Metridium senile is it's latin name if you want to look it up.

Millsy

Hi Millsy, I've been looking around, and think it's the larger cousin, Metridium Giganteum. Metridium Senile only grows 6" or so. They seem to like Wilson darts.........

The wife brought one similar looking thing up once . Only difference, it was holding on to about a 10 lb rock!!

Thanks Dogbreath, but not to say I agree with the reg, after all, who's to say you won't hook a salmon on the way up?

quote:Originally posted by lazoman

Thanks Dogbreath, but not to say I agree with the reg, after all, who's to say you won't hook a salmon on the way up?
Depends on the rig it's only happened to me once (some suicidal Coho dummie) and now I use a much larger jig when targeting Rockfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

The local DOF Officers told me that if the lure is designed to catch either salmon or rockfish then the barbs should be pinched, even if you are only targetting rockfish.

When I talked to them I specifically mentioned Jigging lures like Gibbs Minnows, Buzz Bombs, Darts, Stingsildas, MacDeeps etc. They also said that you can't use herring or anchovy as those are mooching baits. My impression was it had to be something like a bullet jig with a curly tail attached or a halibut jig or cod jig. I've had salmon hit extra large herring on a spreader bar fished for halibut, but I'm sure they would question that, at least I hope so!

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

The local DOF Officers told me that if the lure is designed to catch either salmon or rockfish then the barbs should be pinched, even if you are only targetting rockfish.

I'm not a lawyer (thank goodness [:p] ) but from what I have seen of the regulations, I think that it comes down to what you are targeting. They do not specify the gear used.

For example - a couple of years ago, I had a big Coho grab a chunk of octopuss on a big circle hook and spreader bar rig, right on the bottom. Does that make me illegal? I think not.

In another example, if I wanted to target Halibut by trolling the bottom with a flasher and big Coyote or Tomic spoon, do I need to pinch the barb? I think there is a good chance that I would get a ticket if caught, but I think you could also argue that one in court.

As far as being ticketed for having a jig with barbed hooks, I think it would be easily beat in court.

One problem with cops and enforcement officers - they have a bad tendancy to make up laws on the spot without any basis in reality. If you are told you can't do something, ask them to specify the exact law you are breaking.

If anyone has better info, I'm all ears.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I was told that if you are jigging or fishing for a fish which does not require you to pinch your barbs and you catch a Salmon on the barbed hook then you must release the fish. Makes sense to me. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

IMHO... Jim's right!

"Anglers are required by law to use a barbless hook when fishing for salmon, including cutthroat trout and steelhead. To change a barbed hook to a barbless one, simply squeeze the barb tightly against the hook shank with a pair of pliers."

Back