What is the best way to remove carpet glue?

fish brain

Crew Member
I have a couple thousand square feet of retail space that needs to have the carpet glue scraped up after removing the old carpet. I’m thinking hot water might work? Do you guys have any suggestions that will save me a bunch of experimentation?
Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 25
I had the same thing in my basement tried lots of things, ended up using aircraft striper and a respirator then cleaning with a mop and soapy water. What a pain, lucky the room was small.

Home Depot has a nice sharp Richards stand up scraper. They are in the paint department. They are pretty awesome for that stuff. No chemicals needed. The blades are reversible and replacement blades are like $10 grab a few and have at it.

Looking at the 3rd pic it will come up pretty clean so maybe rent a Hilti with a wide scraper blade. That should plow through it... awesome for tile mortar too

I have a wide-ish (about 2.5") chisel tip bit for Hilti SDS Max with a curve to it that is perfect for tile mortar and adhesives on concrete slab. Should be able to get this setup at most rental centres.

Home Depot has a nice sharp Richards stand up scraper. They are in the paint department. They are pretty awesome for that stuff. No chemicals needed. The blades are reversible and replacement blades are like $10 grab a few and have at it.
I have tried the Richard’s scraper, it isn’t doing too much

The Hilti is a major upgrade. 5-6’ scraper blade will chew through it. There is a big machine that is on wheels that your shoulders will appreciate you getting.

Back