What is the best fish finder/ sonar under $400 bucks?

Ugly Betty

I have been looking around for a new fish finder for my 16' Lund. The options seem endless and the price just climbs with the bells and whistles. Anyone know of a unit that wont break the bank, and is user friendly? I would prefer plug and play and not sit in my boat all day with a manual. I have a hand held GPS so I,m not to worried about that option. Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance!

( Lowrance Elite - 4 fish finder / gps ) Does the job for me 15' tin boat , the unit also came with a gold card chart plotter and

transducer .

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian Tire had the Lowrance Elite 4X HDI (fishfinder only) on sale for $189 back in mid Oct, pretty good deal for colour screen with transducer included. I use it for a second screen because my old eyes can't always read water depth on the unit at the helm when I'm astern looking at riggers. Canadian Tire seem to cycle their sale items around 2 or 3 times a year, you could keep an eye open for it in the spring. I think reg price is $239.

Second the Lowrance Elite recommendation. Very quick to switch between screens, fairly easy to mark waypoints for crabbing and prawning, tracks well for trolling, which allowed us to limit out a couple of times on sockeye this summer. I have an Elite 5 GPS/Fishfinder and I am now upgrading to the lowrance 7 hds. My dad has a Lowrance Elite 4 GPS/Finder for sale, if you can wait a couple weeks.

Just a bit over your price limit but US Cabelas has the Lowrance Elite 7 sounder/gps w/ the 83/200khz dual beam transducer on for just $449 as part of their Cyber Monday sale. Free shipping to boot, but - will have to get it shipped to a US address or cross border receiver like "Ship Happens" to avoid duty and taxes. Either way, that is some great technology and great sized screen and a steal at that price!

Ukee

Island outfitters just put the elite 5 on sale for less then $500 with the gold navionics chip.

Just a bit over your price limit but US Cabelas has the Lowrance Elite 7 sounder/gps w/ the 83/200khz dual beam transducer on for just $449 as part of their Cyber Monday sale. Free shipping to boot, but - will have to get it shipped to a US address or cross border receiver like "Ship Happens" to avoid duty and taxes. Either way, that is some great technology and great sized screen and a steal at that price!

Ukee

Island outfitters just put the elite 5 on sale for less then $500 with the gold navionics chip.

To bad I'm a mainlander It would seem so far lowerance is the unit of choice on the Island! Does anyone have anything good to say about humming bird products? I prefer hands on opinions rather than what a web page tells me. Replies are ALWAYS appreciated.

Back