What gauge wire to use

Thanks for the link Wolf, just to make clear I was replying to this part of your previous post.

next you will be able to wire a whole boat just not 6 circuits.....

I was not trying or attempting to blow anything out of proportion which can easily be done on here it seems.

Moving on......

I sprayed everything down with Ship to Shore Dielectric Spray.

My new motor is in transit this evening and will be here tomorrow. I am having the motor itself installed as I don't have a hoist. Then she is coming home. Rigging will be done back at home. Decision was made to do so this afternoon. Going to be fun..... Stop by if you in the neighbourhood and check out the process.

Cant wait...... Project almost complete

then give us more pic's
what and how many batteries are you running ?
thought about shore power to keep her snug for next winter
as your already in the process of wiring mite be a nice touch , heater, beer/beverage cooler, etc

but keep up the good work hope the engine install all go's well
but keep pic's coming

I just rewired our wanger at Work, new engine as well. I have a before pic somewhere just cant find it right now. This is the circuit board I built.

I know the answer Im looking for is in this thread somewhere but... 18 feet from my batteries to my distribution block, what gauge wire do I need?

I know the answer Im looking for is in this thread somewhere but... 18 feet from my batteries to my distribution block, what gauge wire do I need?

Let me know what ampacity (load) that you're planning on running and I can give you the correct wire size. Also, is that 18' the 'one way length' of wire? You want to make sure that you don't have any more than a 3% voltage drop on feeders to panels, that way the total VD to the device/pump/light/DR won't be too bad.

Thanks for the 'plug' Jeffy... [emoji79]

An example of #6 AWG at 18' and 3% VD is a max load of 20.3 amps...! [emoji79]

a494addbaa2eeb70e2cfaa094cd9235c.jpg

Rick

Reluctantly sent from my iPhoney using this crappy Tapatalk app... [emoji37]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to chandler with the length you need, they can use their special crimp tool for 4 awg it looks like a pair of bolt cutters but it makes the proper mechanical connection , then they solder n heatshrink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go to chandler with the length you need, they can use their special crimp tool for 4 awg it looks like a pair of bolt cutters but it makes the proper mechanical connection , then they solder n heatshrink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying that HC aren't making the correct crimps, but with the correct size lug and proper crimp tool, there shouldn't be any 'room' for solder! [emoji37]

These are one of the crimp tools that I use for #8 - #4/0 AWG cables.

87f67a590bf14e439980b60dbe1d3fb6.jpg

And when you cut the crimp open, it should look like this inside if it's made correctly:

744510bb1781bb78607d8b0bc78be5d2.jpg

A link to a great resource:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination

Just my $0.02 worth

Rick

Reluctantly sent from my iPhoney using this crappy Tapatalk app... [emoji37]

Back