What do you Guy's think 2000 2100 Striper

I agree with Reel Slim, change to ping pong ball style scupper drain valves. The flapper valves get stuck much easier than the ping pong style. But, keep them clean to insure proper drainage. Replace the power.
Stosh

If you do watch out for those 2002-2005 yammy 200hp-250hp four strokes that have had the internal corrosion issues. I noticed one of those listings had that exact motor on it.

for whatever its worth , i have a pair of 2002 v6 150 ficht motors , i basically had the boat sold to me minus the outboards , as they were both not running , a bank repot down south , i spent less than 2500$ on all the upgrades , changed one ecm , i have had nothing but good things ta say bowt them ta date , there quiet , cheap on fuel , and run like a bat outta hell when needed , ive been lucky i guess , alot of guys i have spoken too say , you either love them , or hate em,,, they usually failed on the first 100 hrs , after that , if ya maintained them , they were great motors , im not sayun id go lookin for one , but if your perfect boat happens ta have one , check it out , there pretty sophisticated motors , i hook up my laptop to them at the end of the year , tells me all my codes , rpm profile , hours etc... pretty cool , i bought them with 300 hours , now around 550 each , still runnin strong ,

anchors if they ever go south on me lol...

m2b

Etecs next for me , NO DOUBT !! great motors.. Coast Guard uses them for a reason...

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually those motors are really good on fuel HOWEVER they are the original Ficht version of direct injection. These motors had a very bad reputation for failures. Johnson and Evinrude make great 2-stroke motors but you want one that is pre-1998 or 2003 and newer.

Of course these motors could be exceptions not all the Fichts failed and some are still running strong after all these years.

Hi,

I have a 2001 2101 Striper with a 2001 200 Ficht, 600 trouble free hours, Fichts do have a bad reputation, but it was a quality control problem, you usually had problems or you didn't, this motor was the pre-cursor to the E-Tec, which has a great reputation.

After moving up from a 1995 140 Johnson, I can't believe how much more fuel efficient newer engines can be.

Bottom Line, I love my Striper and my Ficht.

Just another Opinion.
Barman

"Coast Guard uses them for a reason..."

Not an E-Tec hater but the fact the Coast Guard uses them is more politically driven than anything. If Yamaha.....Mercury or Honda's were built in Quebec by Bombardier then they would have them on the back of all their rigs too! lol

Sorry to ruin your parade, but E-Tecs are American made. BRP just owns them.

"Coast Guard uses them for a reason..."

Not an E-Tec hater but the fact the Coast Guard uses them is more politically driven than anything. If Yamaha.....Mercury or Honda's were built in Quebec by Bombardier then they would have them on the back of all their rigs too! lol

No parade......and I could care less about where they are made just a comment is all about BRP. Battle Bay does made a good point however?

Sorry man just meant it to be a correction, nothing else.:)

Wow...Go to the states,,,,

Surely VI is the most expensive place in nth america to buy a boat. You SELL boats on the island, not buy. Sure there are all kinds of problems with boars from southern US - "hurricane boats" - and it's not at all a given that buying in the States will be cheaper or a better deal, but overpriced boats are a way of life on the island. The debate about the FICHT on the OP's prospective purchase isn't the key issue, it's the fact that it's underpowered and overpriced.

The problem with the second one is 1000 hours is alot for a 2 stroke engines, from what I have been told. Not sure what kind of life span those early 2000's Optimaxs have, but I would consider 1000 to be more hours than I would want on that engine...Optimax owners may want to comment.

Both of these engines are early 2000 optimax is there a way to check the hours on an engine? Computer read out? Otherwise it would be easy to write down any hours you want. I find it hard to believe that a 13 year engine only has 150 hours on it in the case of the first boat

You would be surprised how little engines get used...The only thing those early engines would have is an hour meter, i they put one on th boat. I purchased an arima with 1998 twin 50hp four strokes that had 193 hours on each engine. So it is easily conceivable that a 12-13 year old main motor would only have 150 hours if a kicker is used mostly or they simply didnt use the boat.

The problem with the second one is 1000 hours is alot for a 2 stroke engines, from what I have been told. Not sure what kind of life span those early 2000's Optimaxs have, but I would consider 1000 to be more hours than I would want on that engine...Optimax owners may want to comment.

I get 2500-3000 hrs out of my optis

Both of these engines are early 2000 optimax is there a way to check the hours on an engine? Computer read out? Otherwise it would be easy to write down any hours you want. I find it hard to believe that a 13 year engine only has 150 hours on it in the case of the first boat

the computer in the motor can give you all the info including how hard it was run

Any merc dealer can pull the hours, check any faults and run history, the boat has smartcraft gauges so the hours will be shown on the gauge(read off outboard pcm). The 150 opti's are supposed to be great motors, I had a 225 and it was easy on fuel and oil.

Back