What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

My other boat got its annual wax on the original 1965 paint back in April. It has year round collector plates on it....so it sees the road any fair weather dry day. Bought a complete dual exhaust system for it with the GT rear valance and the trumpet type exhaust tips. Just picked up a complete stock type front power disc front brake kit from the US last week. Had Seawings at the airport bring it over the border. I have 4 Koni shocks coming this week from Summit Racing…on sale for $113 each, quoted $210 each here. Will be ordering a complete Tremec 5sp conversion kit from Modern Driveline this week. Taking out the C4 - 3 speed auto. Will be adding an Eaton posi unit in the 8inch rear with either 3:50 or 3.70 gears. Also buying a Borgeson integral power steering kit, and likely a complete Global West front suspension kit . Shelby Drop, 3 deg positive camber, adjustable strut rods, GT springs, 1 inch front sway bar, roller spring perches, roller idler arm . Already ordered a Shelby style export brace and Monte Carlo bar. Also looking at an aftermarket lower under engine front rail brace with a built in jacking pad. All to make this pony a bit more fun to drive and have it feel sporty instead of like a small Lincoln.

Attachments

• 25B89383-9AD0-4D7B-AD30-87673EE84701.jpeg
    25B89383-9AD0-4D7B-AD30-87673EE84701.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Ordered a new Sureflo Pro Blaster 2 wash down pump as mine is 15 years old and getting slow at priming itself, found the broken wire connection for my mast 360’ light and got that working only to discover that the stainless mast for it on my arch has a cracking weld…so will be taking the boat to Clarke Engineering for a reweld of that joint. 30 years of flexing in waves is its limit I guess. I had one of the 3 holes holding the kicker side mount controls strip out of the fibreglass, so filled the hole with 2 part epoxy, drilled it and now the screw bites in solid again. Tomorrow I will be pulling my power winch apart, do my annual clean and relube all the bearings and gears.

Nice car.

I was gassing up beside a guy with his 65 mustang convertible a few weeks ago . It was his first car, it hibernated in his garage for about 20 years and has been back on the road for about 10 or so. It was really nice, bone stock except for brakes, tires and electronics. He said I wanted to make it safer and reliable. I consider safety upgrades not messing with the car. I also think rodding things up is just fine.

I'm not touching the paint/body or interior as mine is all original and its only that way once. All the upgrades I'm doing involve no changes that can't be reversed. The Shelby drop involves drilling two holes in the shock towers..they could always be welded up and to fit the Tremec 5 speed the only mod is to take 3/8 on an inch away from the forward edge of the floor opening for the existing shifter. Everything else is bolt ons. I will be changing the wheels and tires to a 5 spoke type mag with as wide a tires I can get under it without any rubs. I will keep the existing wheels.and all the parts I remove for my mods....so it could easily go back if someone wanted to. Once I have all the mods done I'll see about getting the HP up to 300-350 to make it strong but not stupid.

Last edited:
Did you consider mounting the kicker on the other side so that is balances out the boat when you are sitting at the helm alone? Hard to tell from pics if you had that option or not.

Did you consider mounting the kicker on the other side so that is balances out the boat when you are sitting at the helm alone? Hard to tell from pics if you had that option or not.
I looked at the options and decided to install the trolling motor on the starboard side. There was very limited info on these boats as far as mounting a trolling motor on a twin setup. In the end and after looking at the fuel tank and water tank/holding tank layout I decided on starboard. The ladder for the boat folds up on the port side complicating the port install. What the pics don't show is the Zodiac+6 HP outboard that stows between the port rail and superstructure. The 82 lb of the Zodiac and 45 lb of the motor offset any (albeit minimal) listing. The weight of the 15 HP merc pro is around 122 lbs. These numbers made me pretty confident that the "moment" of the boat would not be adversely affected. Our "shakedown" run seemed to evidence this as well. After using said trolling motor I am very happy. It is very quiet and I can steer it in a couple of different ways... check this out... I can steer with my wireless remote or hardwired controls keeping the big engines down. I can bring the big engines up and make more abrupt course changes. I can leave the big engines down and use them for steering and use the 15 hp for propulsion only. Now at this point I have no idea which will work best but I love fishing tide and eddy's so will know more this summer... hopefully LOL

Pretty cool to see a boat like that on the Dam

Looks Good
Thank you... It was the only place I could think of with decent ramps and lots of water. Plus surprisingly there was no debris floating around which is usually the case in the spring.

Over the last week - used a combination of scraping, chemical stripper and sanding to remove the ugly red topside paint that was painted over blue ablative bottom paint. Still have filling and finishing to do. I've never sprayed gelcoat so I was thinking of spraying from the rub rails down with interlux VC epoxy with Teflon. I have half a 1 gallon kit sitting here and I think it should make a durable no nonsense coating for a fishing boat. Only thing that concerns me is that decals may not stick to it. Future installations will also include a tube frame hard top. The windshield in the pics isn't fastend down and the hourston diehards may notice it isn't original to the boat. It was a freebie from a Campion.

20210506_175206-01.jpeg20210530_131943-01.jpeg20210530_181119-01.jpeg

I took my floor out on Saturday hoping to add more in floor storage but that’s not happening anytime soon. My gas tank is 12ft long. Haha I also made a rod rack for when I’m going to the lake. Tired of laying them down on the floor.

Attachments

• 65493E42-B2C3-44FE-B53E-A56611668758.jpeg
    65493E42-B2C3-44FE-B53E-A56611668758.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 0C39A005-D9EB-422E-A887-BE7C79C03558.jpeg
    0C39A005-D9EB-422E-A887-BE7C79C03558.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 185
I took my floor out on Saturday hoping to add more in floor storage but that’s not happening anytime soon. My gas tank is 12ft long. Haha I also made a rod rack for when I’m going to the lake. Tired of laying them down on the floor.
Careful with that rod holder. Looks like a potential rod breaker for people with clumsy big feet that like to trip and stumble around a boat lol. Looks like you have nice open long gunnels I would look at mounting something in them to get the rods away from the floor and center of the boat.

I'm now removing last summers below the water line brown stain from the hull. First pic shows how brown the sun side got and how the extra brite acid wash takes it off with a wipe from a scrub pad. The 2nd pic is after polishing and wax...ready for this summer.

Attachments

• keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 125
  • keel1.jpg
    keel1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 108
Here is the broken weld and split in my radar arch where the mast light post is welded to the arch. 30 years of bouncing around on the water has caused it to fatigue...getting it welded up tomorrow.

Attachments

• arch.jpg
    arch.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 104
  • arch1.jpg
    arch1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 90
Finally fished the gd trailer brake and hub swap tonight, bleeding those brakes was a real pita, mostly because the backup battery was installed in reverse polarity so it ran in reverse whrn I first pulled the pin haha...Anyway just a bit of a dot3 shower and fully bled, in time to haul out on Wed for the engineectomy.

See how adjusted these brakes are, man drums are a pita to adjust.

Nice t top.
Let's see some more photos of the vessel please.
the boat comes fairly raw from the manufacturer and needs most everything rigged, that's just fine with me. the hull as pictured sells for 300,000 pesos 18k cdn it comes with live tank and four tuna tubes built in.

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 151
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 146
  • portside.jpg
    portside.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 134
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 127
  • portside.jpg
    portside.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Careful with that rod holder. Looks like a potential rod breaker for people with clumsy big feet that like to trip and stumble around a boat lol. Looks like you have nice open long gunnels I would look at mounting something in them to get the rods away from the floor and center of the boat.
It’s just for when I’m in transport. They go up in the tower as soon as I hit the water.

Back