What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Well after the bearing issues trailering to Port Hardy a few weeks ago I decided to replace everything with Timken bearings and new springs. Hopefully no issues trailering to Gold River in a few weeks.
I’d recommend carrying an extra spring always bolted somewhere on your trailer. I’ve seen many broken spring trailers on that road to GR. Those bucksaw heaves around Campbell Lake and between GR and the ramp have tested the springs on many a trailer. You’re probably good this year given you’ve got new ones. I’ll be testing mine on that road in about 4 hours. Always a bit stressful.

Nice work, just did the same but I was stupid and didn't do the springs. Did you buy those locally? Mine creek a bit and are definitely rusty...when the boat is done I'm definitely doing these.
I sourced the springs through Road Runner in Richmond, probably paid too much as I noticed they had China on them but we’ll see how they last. Much better than the old ones.

^^^^^^ Speedo sleeves are a must if your going that far, corrosion on the seal lands will just let water intrude those new bearings and it won’t matter what brand they are
Yes I stopped short of putting the speedy sleeves on this time my reasoning was that I may have to get longer axles next year anyway. Apparently the axles for this 2012 Road Runner trailer are shorter and we’re not designed for disc brakes. So will reassess in the fall.

I sourced the springs through Road Runner in Richmond, probably paid too much as I noticed they had China on them but we’ll see how they last. Much better than the old ones.

Thanks...mine are original roadrunner from 5 years ago and they rusted fast. I'm going to try a different route, hope yours last well.

I thought I would try soaking the new springs in Fluid Film regularly to see if that slows down the rust a little, it may be a lost cause …

This past week I found what I think is the fresh water tank with a tie down assembly that was detached as a set of screws held it had come out of the wooden sub deck. I managed to figure out how to access where the screws came out, and with many contortions, managed to screw them back in and re-strap the tank. While in the aft bunk, in an access opening I found that the thru-hull water intake shut off was seized. I also noticed a small amount of water on the V-berth floor. No moisture near the seized valve. Any ideas about the moisture? Nothing in the bilge (fore and aft). Should the thru-hull valve be replaced? Also trying to figure out the fish holds as they are supposed to pump seawater through the fish holds. It's a 1995 2302 Trophy.

Finally replaced the old Raymarine A65 with the Lowrance Elite FS-7. Coupled with a p66 transducer. Thanks Tonelli for hooking it up!
I have an old A65 for sale if anyone needs it :)
Hoping to test it out in Bamfield at the end of the month!

Attachments

• Transducer p66.jpg
    Transducer p66.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 50
  • FS-7.jpg
    FS-7.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Finally replaced the old Raymarine A65 with the Lowrance Elite FS-7. Coupled with a p66 transducer. Thanks Tonelli for hooking it up!
I have an old A65 for sale if anyone needs it :)
Hoping to test it out in Bamfield at the end of the month!
Nice!
Quick question, I got the same sounder but in the 9". Came with the 3 in one transducer (Cabelas sale a few months back) I'm not going to swap it out, but where do you get aftermarket transducers if I were to change it down the road?

Nice!
Quick question, I got the same sounder but in the 9". Came with the 3 in one transducer (Cabelas sale a few months back) I'm not going to swap it out, but where do you get aftermarket transducers if I were to change it down the road?
I was struggling to figure out which transducer to choose. From what i remember, you can get that sounder with the 3 in 1, HDI, or no transducer. Did some research, but wanted some first hand experience. Jason from PA suggested the P66 for our pacific waters as the 3 in 1 and hdi apparently don't perform as well past about 150ft. You can get the p66 from PA or harbour chandler. It was just over $200. The whole set up was about $1200

I was struggling to figure out which transducer to choose. From what i remember, you can get that sounder with the 3 in 1, HDI, or no transducer. Did some research, but wanted some first hand experience. Jason from PA suggested the P66 for our pacific waters as the 3 in 1 and hdi apparently don't perform as well past about 150ft. You can get the p66 from PA or harbour chandler. It was just over $200. The whole set up was about $1200
Thanks. That's good to know. I'll see how she works and go from there. Might be a change in my future. But I'd better at least try it first.

Back