What are you using for marine flood lights on your boat?

MikeyL

i'm looking to upgrade my flood lights this off season. i'm looking for a super bright one, thinking about LED. Any recommendations?

Led is the way to go a lot of options to choose from these days. Would recommend lighting up your gunnels with strip light as well find that much easier on the eyes in the morning.

Chinese LED lights on Amazon work just fine for the low price. Buddy has them on a large commercial vessel and he like them better than anything else he has used. I have them as deck lights and forward spot light.

Chinese LED lights on Amazon work just fine for the low price. Buddy has them on a large commercial vessel and he like them better than anything else he has used. I have them as deck lights and forward spot light.
Thanks for the response. How long do they last while exposed to the salt/marine air. I saw bunch on amazon and claims to be all waterproof. The ones on amazon are about $30-100. I checked some of the local marine shops and they're ranging from $100-600.

Are you looking for cube style lights or are you thinking of mounting a single bar on a hardtop facing back? For the gunnel strip lighting I ran mine inside clear pvc tubing available at Home Depot and used the screw hole zip ties to attach it. First set lasted a couple seasons when it was open but will eventually fail when exposed. Use some string to pull the strip through the tubing prior to installing in the boat. Went red this time around had white before, both work well but the red is not quite as bright.
CEE535ED-F5AE-4407-A1E0-E4B4CB4943C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you looking for cube style lights or are you thinking of mounting a single bar on a hardtop facing back? For the gunnel strip lighting I ran mine inside clear pvc tubing available at Home Depot and used the screw hole zip ties to attach it. First set lasted a couple seasons when it was open but will eventually fail when exposed. Use some string to pull the strip through the tubing prior to installing in the boat.
View attachment 72689
That looks awesome. I'm looking for a bar for the front and possible deck lights for the back. It's kind of a hit or miss with these Asia products. They all advertise as waterproof but who knows if it will last a month or a few years in salt water conditions. Was hoping to get some reviews from others that have them currently installed and had good experiences with them.

On my last boat I bought a light bar and 4 floods for back deck think it was 79 bucks shipped lasted 6 years in the salt still working as far as I know
Bought off Ali express

Thanks for the response. How long do they last while exposed to the salt/marine air. I saw bunch on amazon and claims to be all waterproof. The ones on amazon are about $30-100. I checked some of the local marine shops and they're ranging from $100-60

I have a cube light for the back deck, At least 8 years but is is mounted under cover. One small one is plenty of light for me. Too much light and you are blinded looking at it.
Up top for running is a 54 " light bar flood/spot combo. Always out in the weather, year round, for 4 years. Just like new. Finish is awesome and it gets water over the bow quite often.
Depending on how much deck you are lighting a couple small cubes might be best to eliminate shadows. Mount them higher looking down to avoid the glare. Very bright. LED is the way to go. IMO.

I have a cube light for the back deck, At least 8 years but is is mounted under cover. One small one is plenty of light for me. Too much light and you are blinded looking at it.
Up top for running is a 54 " light bar flood/spot combo. Always out in the weather, year round, for 4 years. Just like new. Finish is awesome and it gets water over the bow quite often.
Depending on how much deck you are lighting a couple small cubes might be best to eliminate shadows. Mount them higher looking down to avoid the glare. Very bright. LED is the way to go. IMO.
Do you have a link to the ones you're using? thanks for the review. how much did you spend on them?

I understand the OP has already wired his boat and is looking for a replacement.

For those looking for something quick and easy, wedge shaped solar powered outdoor security lights work well. When I moored my boat a few years back I wanted some security lighting that didn’t run on shore power or battery power. I mounted one of these on the radar arch with zap ties. It worked really well in that I had immediate lighting when anyone (including me) boarded the boat before sunrise. I also had a good amount of light for setting gear, on demand, and found I didn’t need to use the regular deck lights at all. Inexpensive, no battery drain, don’t even have to switch on or off. Available at hardware stores.

Back