What are they dipping the salmon in?

Glazed with water. I worked at a commercial fish plant when I was young and that’s what they did with whole or fillets. Better quality

It’s to keep the fish fresher when frozen. As a kid we used to watch them brine the fish prior to freezing them at the commercial facility.

It’s to keep the fish fresher when frozen. As a kid we used to watch them brine the fish prior to freezing them at the commercial facility.
Fresh or salt water?

I like to keep quite a few fish whole and might do this, i guess freeze it first then do a couple coats of water glaze, this Awesome it's kinda like prawns in
little tubs of water and good seal from the air
I started doing this with my fillets with salt water. I cut it all up and portion it and put all the pieces in a bowl of water then vac pack them dripping wet. I was just experimenting though, had no real proof of concept.

Fresh or salt water?
In the commercial cold storage plant it was brine ( salt) not sure what proportion but I believe the idea was to form a skim coat of very cold ice on the fish. The salted mix allowed for much colder commercial freezing.

Saltwater brine on the freezer trollers. As someone mentioned they need to be thoroughly frozen before glazing: bang 2 fish together and if they sound like a couple of bowling balls, you’re good to dip.

Back