What am I missing???

Apperently Gibbs is selling a flash fly with an actionizer head that looks just like the Oki Crazy 8 head. I gave up using those heads on full size hoochies because they never gave them enough action without a flasher to catch consistently. I stripped down all my old rigged hoochies that were tied on those heads, cause I'd just given up on them. When I was about to head up to Campbell River I noticed them sitting on the table and thought maybe I should try them with the mini hoochies for the chum. Bingo, what a difference. With a full size hoochy you have to really motor to give them action, but with a small mini hoochy they work great even at the slow chum trolling speeds. The Oki Crazy 8 heads are not in many stores, but Tyee Tackle, and Supertackle have them online. Probably not going to be around for long with Gibbs buying out Oki. I made sure to order some glow and UV models before they're gone.Zak Tackle Royal Flash Fly.jpg Oki Crazy 8.jpg

I find the jughead needlefish and squirt are excellent with good colours if you want something along the line of a flash fly or even by themselves without a flasher. Especially like the UV white ghost inside Nootka mid-summer!!

I find the jughead needlefish and squirt are excellent with good colours if you want something along the line of a flash fly or even by themselves without a flasher. Especially like the UV white ghost inside Nootka mid-summer!!
What speeds are you trolling the juggies in needlefish and squirt sizes. I found the same kind of issue with the juggies as the Crazy 8 heads on full size octopus hoochies (you have to really motor). I have some of the smaller size ones, but I never gave them a try yet.

What speeds are you trolling the juggies in needlefish and squirt sizes. I found the same kind of issue with the juggies as the Crazy 8 heads on full size octopus hoochies (you have to really motor). I have some of the smaller size ones, but I never gave them a try yet.
I used the medium size UV jughead with a octopus hoochie, no flasher, on coho last year and it was my top producer. That was at 3mph+.

Took the rig out this year and had a couple hits at around 2.5mph, the action looked good to me.

No chinook on it at all last year, but it wasn't the only thing that didn't catch a fish - so I'm not ruling it out for this year.

In a moment of weakness, I bought all 3 jughead's pre-tied squid... no idea where I'm going to use them, but they look pretty at least ;)
http://www.jugheadshaker.com/jughead-squid-lures/

I used the medium size UV jughead with a octopus hoochie, no flasher, on coho last year and it was my top producer. That was at 3mph+.

Took the rig out this year and had a couple hits at around 2.5mph, the action looked good to me.

No chinook on it at all last year, but it wasn't the only thing that didn't catch a fish - so I'm not ruling it out for this year.
Ya that's kind of what I'm saying. With the octo size hoochies you've pretty near got to troll the action heads at coho speeds. I was really surprised how well they worked with a small Michael Bait hoochie for the chums. I only tried that late in the fall for the first time. Gave them great action even at very slow speeds. I would think it work well on the Soco too.

Thanks for the tip on the the Oki Crazy 8 heads TBG, didnt know they existed.
Looking forward to trying them out against the wiggle fins

I also have some home made wiggle fins and other actionizer ideas kicking around in my head. I'm always trying to build a better mouse trap. Guys would downright split a gut if they saw some of my hali hoochie rigs. My buddies always had a good laugh till they went fishless and I was catching all the biggies. I've added bass gear, plastic lips, spin n glows, bait heads, cut off plug heads, and stuff that would make your head spin onto my huge hali hoochies. They've all caught tons of nice bottom fish. Next home made hali hoochie atractors I'm planning on rigging, spinners with home made clevis, action head out of a plastic suction disk, home made halibut size smile blades, bucked off dead tomic plug heads. There's really no end to the ways you can customize your hoochies, all it takes is some imagination and willingness to experiment. You never know what will end up being a killer rig unless your willing to experiment.

Green krippled anchovie with a green 5" Apex pined in .I must try it again.
That's the spirit. Good old fashioned inventiveness. There's just so much more satisfaction to catching your fish on your own creation.

That's the beauty of using hoochies there's no end to the ways you can customize them.

While we're on the topic of hoochie colors, does any store still have the large 8 inch Tiger Prawn (glow/black/orange bars) in stock. The 55 Chevy is still in stores, and is very similar, only it uses pink instead of orange. I try to avoid pink when bottom fishing, as I think it attracts red snapper. My GF lost my last big Tiger Prawn hoochie in Sept, and it appears it's another pattern that's gone away. That's a shame because it was a great pattern for coho and bottom fishing. There are other patterns marketed as a Tiger Prawn, but they aren't even close to the old orange/black versions. Sadly, so many great patterns are no longer available anymore.

Hey Big Guy, I believe you are referring to Radiant Lures. I have been a big fan of there hootchies for many years. There quality is exceptional. I have been ordering bulk from an Island distributer called tyeetackle.com. I'm not sure if there still in business, as it's been a few years. Give there site a try. I think your talking about the 6 in. Magnum Tiger Prawn. That and it's 4in. brother are very successful. Let me know how it works out. I might be able to help you if you have no luck with the site.;) eman

Hey Big Guy, I believe you are referring to Radiant Lures. I have been a big fan of there hootchies for many years. There quality is exceptional. I have been ordering bulk from an Island distributer called tyeetackle.com. I'm not sure if there still in business, as it's been a few years. Give there site a try. I think your talking about the 6 in. Magnum Tiger Prawn. That and it's 4in. brother are very successful. Let me know how it
works out. I might be able to help you if you have no luck with the site.;) eman
I know Radiant has been gone for a while. Tyee Tackle has been almost drained of all their remaining inventory. There's almost none of their stock remaining. I just thought maybe some guys might know of stores with old stock or new alternate sources for the tiger prawn pattern. The 55 Chevy was originally a Radiant pattern, but Gibbs has taken up production and distribution of that old Radiant pattern in the large 8 in Hali hoochies. I was just hoping someone might know some sources for the Tiger Prawn. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

TROTAC has lots of it they got it all, best is to contact them if you are looking for something specific.

Good luck Wolf

Back