West side of Haida Gwaii

jwood99

The first week of June im going to be exploring Gwaii Haanas National park, if the weather allows it we are going to go back up on the west side of Haida Gwaii, what areas should a guy fish if able to go that way?

Thanks

Had a buddy fish cape st james last year he said it was incredible!! Pretty much every point/ kelp bed down the west side is going to hold fish

I've fished it from Lepas Bay right down to Englefield-even weather permitting it's a very mixed bag you might do well you might be just washing tackle depends on the runs.

Lotsa bottom critters like most little trafficked places.

Over half of the park is no rec or comercial harvest. Make sure to check the park closure areas..... map is on line.

The area around west entrance to Skidegate Channel sees plenty of boats, but few venture much north or south of that.

From talking with an old-timer commercial guy, he was raving about Frederick Island, mid way up Graham Island. It out there!

Awesome thank you!
No worries! He claimed he caught a 60+ lb chinook. It was a while back but worth a poke if your are cruising up that area!

Other areas where lodges are/used to be would be Englefield, Hippa Island, Port Louis and infamous Langara Island.

Sounds like an epic trip.

dream trip
Dream weather too-or rather nightmare on occasion.

I was trolling off a cliff @ Hippa when I realised the reason the cliffs were just bare rock so high up was because that's how high the swell was in winter and that when I also realised people didn't live out there in winter the famous Hippa 'hogans' that white people first saw were just summer encampments.

Cruise into Tasu through the gap. Beyond stunning. One of life’s goals to get back there one day. Not sure if the park closures included the south wall now but it is worth the fish if open just to experience that tac. Scraping tips on the wall when calm enough mooching cut plugs. There’s Wash rock at kootenay then into englefield grounds. No shortage of Hali spots all the way up

Don’t cruise past Sunday without going in for a look, the pinnacles are amazing

Last edited:
Not fishing related, but very worthwhile for your trip:

I've spent a bunch of time exploring between Sunday Inlet and Fredrich Island. That book is a great guide.

Not fishing related, but very worthwhile for your trip:

I've spent a bunch of time exploring between Sunday Inlet and Fredrich Island. That book is a great guide.
I bought that last time I was up there. One day I will take my boat up and go see some of those spots.

Dream weather too-or rather nightmare on occasion.

I was trolling off a cliff @ Hippa when I realised the reason the cliffs were just bare rock so high up was because that's how high the swell was in winter and that when I also realised people didn't live out there in winter the famous Hippa 'hogans' that white people first saw were just summer encampments.
Who are the hips “ hogans “?

Last edited:
Hippa and Frederick
There are damn few boats on the west side, the scenery is incredible, the fishing can be incredible, lots of bottom fish, make sure your boat and gear are in tip top shape and bring plenty of spare stuff.
Epic trip, have fun!

Who are the hips “ hogans “?
When the first European explorer/captain (was it Cook or Vancouver?) saw the west side of Hippa he noticed some bark covered temporary huts of a summer encampment that resembled ones found in a wild part of New Zealand-there they were called 'hogans' and somehow that ended up as Hippa.

Or so the story goes.

Back