West Coast VI this weekend

C

chromechaser

My father in-law and I have managed to get Friday off and are planning to head over to the island for one last shot. Initially we were thinking about Nootka Sound for northern cohos but I have not heard anything from there recently. Also thinking about Alberni Inlet or Barcley Sound but again, not much chatter coming from that way. Have the coho started to come into the sound in bigger numbers? We have a 19 ft Fibreform so as long as the weather isn't too rough we can head off shore a bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Renfrew?

Thanks for the responses, but it looks like we will be staying in town. What my father in-law thought was a simple fix for the boat has turned out to be more serious. There's always next year.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

You should see lots of coho if you go to Renfrew and stay off the harbour mouth. Usually pretty aggresive, and straightforward to catch.

Hey Last Chance, I am heading to Renfrew late Sat. to fish for a few days, thanks for the tip for cohos of the harbour mouth, what are you using? Any big spring action at campers, logan?

thanks Pirate Boy

I've had great luck with a 7' Tomic spoon, I don't know the number off the top of my head, but it's a bright flourescent 50/50 yellow/white with a scale pattern glued over it. I drag that one almost as fast as my kicker will go when it comes on, otherwise, slow to normal speeds for when I have bait out as well. A cut-plug 60-80 feet back just under the surface is another favorite for the centre trout rod, and rod number three will get the usual assortment of teaser heads/flashers, and some strip thrown in for fun this year.

BTW, the cut plug usually isn't a star performer for ME, I just throw it out for sh*ts and giggles because it is so much fun on a Wal-Mart bargin-bin trout rod.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I've had great luck with a 7' Tomic spoon,

You must be catching some mighty big cohos with a 7 foot spoon.[:0] Funny, I can't recall ever seeing those on the shelf, kinda hard to miss, I would think. :DAnd getting one home from the store is another issue altogether if you don't own a full size pick-up.:D

BTW. Rennie would be the place to go a stated earlier. Good luck. I may try and get out there too.

Back