West Coast Guides Association

great post Pat...check you e-mail when you have time....

Yes indeed, huge potential benefits to be explored. Better insurance rates, group plans, tackle purchases, passing along information on changes or interpretations to the angling regulations, group sessions on TP annual inspections. Possibilities are endless. We are in process of obtaining sample constitutions to help us build our own, then organize a meeting to ratify a new constitution.

One possible way to become more inclusive would be to look at area chapters to help expand the ability to connect local guides. At the moment we currently cover Port Alberni, Bamfield, Ucluelet and Tofino. We have contacted the Campbell River Guides Association, and will be trading information. Our plan is also to join the SFI to ensure we stay informed as well as connect on ways we can mutually support one another.

Bottom line, we are making progress and getting organized.

Thanks Gill. Yes it was an overflow crowd. In a word...Amazing!

We also have a really large list of guides who may be interested in joining but were not able to attend the meeting. Lot of interest and agreement that we have much to be gained from working cooperatively together. We already have a healthy bank account, and as Gill points out the Directors who stood up are an amazingly talented group, the who's who of recreational angling on the west coast. We are working on the minutes and our e-mail contact list, so once we get done they will be mailed out. My computer is toast, so it may be a week before I get it back....stealing the wife's lap top when she ain't looking for now.

If anyone has a soft copy of a society charter or terms of reference they could send me as a template we could use I would greatly appreciate that.

Pat

hey searun , congrats on getting the guides organized. Here is a basic template for a association. http://www.marineassistance.ca/code-of-conduct.html open the pdf. and fill your boots. We formed our association last year and we have made more progress in a year than had been made in a decade unorganized. If you would like any further info regarding association setup feel free to give me a call.
best of luck

beemer

Brian Glennon
Marine Commercial Assistance Association
President
www.MarineAssistance.ca

Thanks Brian & Bryan. We have our Constitution in place and a Board of Directors. We do not as yet have a web site, but do have a group e-mail set up for members to stay in contact. Gill has been organizing the communication to members and has done a great job getting news out via our e-mail. Our focus has been to ensure we are represented at the SFAC in our areas, as well we have good representation on the local Area 23 Harvest Round Table Committee. We have established a link to the Halibut Coalition to ensure we are in the loop and helping out where we can on that issue. Several members involved there, but not much we can really do at the moment until there is further discussion and decisions around how the 2012 season will unfold. We are working to establish group discounts on insurance and tackle. Currently we are planning our next meeting for Feb 9th, and looking to work with DFO and the SFI to increase uptake of the log book program and CTAG. We joined the SFI as a whole group to ensure our members have representation at the SFI and we are in the loop as to issues as they develop. Bottom line is we have started to accomplish a few things, but it is far from perfect so there is still a lot of work ahead of us.

Good to see Pat-- This will help put the real professionals at the top of the pile.

Tx guys, growing pains getting started as in anything. Biggest issue is getting connected to issues and finding a path to help move the issues forward successfully. The guide industry is slowly developing/growing in the right direction, and as you mention we are becoming more and more professional. Programs like CTAG and the TC regulations will help evolve the industry for the benefit of all (customers and operators). I figure it will take another decade before we get there. It's an evolution, not a revolution.

They like all organizations... WCGA circulate their minutes within the membership and are directed bye the membership... as for transparency?? We'll if you attendent the SFAC and SFAB meetings then you know all meeting minutes are circulated.... :)

Back