Went shopping for flares

dawn2dusk

So my flares have expired so I went shopping here in Victoria. I was amazed how the price for Orion Twin-Star 12 gauge shells varied.

West Marine is a hose job. they wanted $80 for 4 and they were from July 2009. I found the same product at a competitor for only $35. That is some mark up West Marine!

Make sure you shop around - well worth your time.

Cheers

where did you find them?
I know canadian tire is 49.99 i think for 6 though, and found a place that sells them individually for 7.99 a flare.

img3937n.jpg

West marine is expensive, where did you get them?

35$/4 = 8.75 per flare.

Canadian tire = 50$/6 = 8.33 per flare (if it is 49.99, might be 39.99 cant remember which would be 6.66/flare)

lakes marine supply in duncan = 7.99/flare for singles

img3937n.jpg

The 12 guage flares are marginally ok. Time in the air for someone to see is quite short...a person would have to be looking in the direction of the emergency to spot it before it fell into the water. Starbursts are crap...1/2 don't go off at all and those that do have the same problem as the 12 gauge. Parachute flares are the best, highest and stay up for someone to spot for a long time.

crap I should have said I got them at Trotac

I did not check crappy tire. Would be curious to know if they are cheaper.

But what is up with west marine?

I agree that the small handheld and 12 gauge flares are really just to keep you legal. If you are really concerned about safety or like to go offshore you should get those large parchute flares. I have a few expired ones on board. I wonder if they would work.

Well once you have new flares ,how do you get rid of the expired ones
I no you can't just go out and fire them off, and you sure don't want to deep six them. Will the stores take them back and dispose of them ,recycle??

quote:Originally posted by JDR

Well once you have new flares ,how do you get rid of the expired ones
I no you can't just go out and fire them off, and you sure don't want to deep six them. Will the stores take them back and dispose of them ,recycle??

You can give them to the firehall, and i think on halloween if you call them and tell them you are, you can shoot them off on land.
If not, maybe throw them in a bucket of water to kill them then the garbage???
i keep the old flares onboard for extras.

img3937n.jpg

Kep them for back up...you have to carry good ones, you don't have to throw out expired ones.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

I have always wanted to know can a 12 gauge flare fire through a 12 gauge shotgun

they do fire thru...make sure it is an open choke gun and all good.

has anyone seen 12ga comet flares with out the gun anywhere... I have yet to see any at Westmarine, sherwood, or Cambodian Tire

havent been to Trotac yet....that store costs me alotta $$$ ...always find too many things:D

thanks

Back