Website errors | Send us your links and screenshots

When pressing notifications, causes security error on Android
That happens to me sometimes, IPhone. Just pull down the screen on your mobile with your finger to refresh the page, then click the bell icon again. The bell wont be highlighted anymore tho but the alerts within will be. On a computer just refresh the page.

@chrisp per my email here are the screenshots. the one at that covers the entire screen closes easily enough; the main screen with all the little ads is the one that causes my tablet or phone to glitch and lock up. hope this helps! thanks for looking into it!

Attachments

• D3884FF5-4D59-4B25-B1C3-7C2407867BD9.png
    D3884FF5-4D59-4B25-B1C3-7C2407867BD9.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 11
  • C679B551-4996-4950-8A4C-07DD01C98CD1.png
    C679B551-4996-4950-8A4C-07DD01C98CD1.png
    285.5 KB · Views: 11
Not sure what others are finding, but the forum hasn't been the same since the mandatory ad campaign.
very slow to load, and i keep getting "aw snap" we lost your page.
I get that the ads are important but the system needs a tune up !

Email notifications are being not only repetitive, but quite often sent 2 days or even more after the post was made???

Can I make a suggestion. With the ads now more dominant it would help if the “Threads below have not been updated since your last visit” was larger or the banner was some other colour to make it stand out. I’m finding it more difficult to determine where the updated threads end versus the others. Not a complaint. Just think it would help a few of us old guys.
Thanks, this is a good suggestion. I've made a change to the template to make this message more visible.

Chris

Apologies for the delay gents. This has taken me a while to track down, and I'm still not entirely sure of the fix. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue on my end but there seems to be one of two things going on:

1. COOKIES ... From the server's error logs it seems that the "security' issues some of you have been experiencing coincide with authentication errors, and these seem to be related to session cookies. Each time you visit the site, you start a new browsing session which your browser stores as one or more cookies. This is how you can move from page to page and retain browsing preferences and have the site authenticate you. If, for some reason, your browser can not read your current session cookie, it will throw an error and/or show you a blank page.

THE FIX: As some of you have already discovered, refreshing the page usually fixes this. When I notice this kind of weirdness happening on sites, not necessarily the SFBC site, I restart my phone. I actually now make a point of restarting my phone every day. This clears any background processes left over from whatever programs are running that consume memory.

2. ADS ... While it may appear these issues relate to the ads you're seeing, I don't think it is. The ads refresh every 15 or so seconds starting from when you first land on a page. And, once per session, you see an ad on mobile that covers the entire page that you need to click past. This will only happen once per visit. From a file size perspective, these ads are very small and take up a fraction of the memory it takes to display the site.

Like the fix for #1, try restarting your mobile device, not just closing the browser, but actually shutting down and restarting your phone.

Let us know if you notice any difference and, like before, feel free to send us your screenshots.

Cheers,
Chris

Back