Weather and Nootka

c-dawg

How do the recent gale force winds effect fishing in Nootka Sound? I'm looking for some point of reference of what the seas look like when I see gale force winds forcasted at Estevan Point or South Brooks buoy. Will the inside be relatively flat and fishable? And where does the "inside" start? I'll be in Critter Cove 21-26 July, and I'm trying to get smart on that area.

Thanks.

There are always spots inside that are fishable. Well...I shouldn't say always before someone corrects me as I am sure January can be quite ugly...but at this time of year it is a darn safe bet. Tahsis Inlet, Hoiss, Strange, San Carlos, Camel Rock, the Wall etc. should all be good. It just means a run outside to Bajo Reef is out of the cards. Most of the good spots "out front" are under 77cm only after next Tuesday, so you will likely want to stay inside anyhow. Typically the "inside" is inside of the lighthouse at Friendly Cove and Burdwood Point across the water. Most of the inside fishing is done from Strange Isl inwards. Although Saveedra, Boston Point, Burdwood can all produce too. There is always lots of help on the dock there and you will quickly pick up on what has been producing.

Muchalat Inlet can be nasty though. Make sure you run out from the Gold River launch early in the am as a very healthy chop certainly does come up in Muchalat...similar to the Alberni Canal. Once you get close to Bligh the chop typically dies down.

As far as weather for out there, I like to use Swellwatch for offshore/out front predictions, gives you size of swell, how many seconds and wind forecast (Think I read a post from Seafever a couple days ago where he stated same).

We go into Critter on the 18th and out on the 21st. Will just miss ya. For what is worth, the exact dates you will be there were fantastic last year. Tight lines and good luck.

Brock

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned if the winds are blowing gales you will want to stay inside of Nootka Light and in the sound. It can be blowing 40 on the outside and can be flat on the inside. The inside is more effected by convection winds but you can always fish somewhere and be comfortable.

c-dawg, if the wind blows NW then the reef is good as long as it's not more than 20mph. If it's too rough then Wash or the Lighthouse is good or lots of inside fishing if protected. If it's blow SW then Burdwood is the place. I

Thanks, all, that is exactly the info I was looking for. This will be my first time fishing WCVI and I'm beyond excited.

Tons of places inside to fish during bad weather. Never had a problem finding a calm spot even when winds blow both inside and out. Thats the beauty of Nootka. Keep it quite though....

Back