We Need Someone With Money

Well said Seafever......

Why is it that the Islanders are always so vocal about this stuff well there's how many thousands of fishermen and millions of people living in Vancouver Area that are so quite.

Why is it that more fishermen up and down this coast and in other provinces that don't speak up?

Yup dough would be a good thing.... may I suggest a laser focus on the politics and leave the other issues to the other organizations. Don't waste time and energy on pencil pushers or bean counters. Go for the throat on the elected officials, on all levels of government. The lesson we learned at the last federal election was that if they want our support they better listen. We use to have 12% halibut quota and at the pre-election town hall meeting 95% of the questions from the public were "how are you going to fix this". We opened the door a crack and got 15% halibut quota. I was part of that and so was FA as well as other members on this forum. First time I carried a protest sign in front of the MP's office. Will do it again if called for.......

Yup dough would be a good thing...... It cost money to do things like this as well as time. Not many of us have both but I see no reason why a person can not join more then one organization. I'm part of many organizations and volunteer where I can but it's expensive being a volunteer......

Maybe we could get the support of Team Canada or the Vancouver Canucks.... We all know their popularity, and they have cash.

Should run a commercial thru out the news hours. Getting the message out about what is happening and what we as Canadians are losing. Asking for peoples support in this matter before it is gone.

How about getting these matters in the news. How come there is so little recognition by news groups.

Why fight the DFO..... What can they really do. What do they do any more. Seems to me they only have pull over rec. fishermen and getting things by us is far to easy for them cause we obey. Seems to me lots of them have given up. Who do they fight for in the long run. They stop us from fishing so that the commercial and First Nation people can kill them.

What a joke..........

At risk of being attacked by those who see SVIAC as some kind of local organisation with no concern for the entire recreational community…..

let's not go off the rails here......

I think the point of this thread is:- that the representation we have is not really politically strong enough...and....that the repesentation tends to be fractionated and area specific.

Yes there are lots of involved hardworking volunteers....but I think we need to work smarter not harder.

Streamkeeping and such is one thing......decision-making at the political executive level is entirely another.
Exactly! The intent of SVIAC is to eventually get a professional lobbyist to Ottawa

We have all the volunteers in the world.......we have lots of passion and emotion.....many have a lot of knowledge.

What we don't have is any real power.
Exactly! See above. And in order to get some money and power SVIAC has to grow to build a “war chest”.

When you think about a governing body for reccies in B.C....that's quite an undertaking.
Every area has it's own needs and wants.

There would be a multitude of agendas on the table continually.

Exactly! Which is why SVIAC started the way it did. It DOES NOT mean the rest of recreational community is ignored or unimportant. It is vital, but it was not possible to take on a task so big, all at once, with no roots or beginnings

Vancouver Island would not be an entity unto itself unless the organization was about Van Isle only.

But there's the rest of British Columbia coast to consider as well.......

Grass-roots emotion is all fine and dandy......but if you want to play in the big leagues you need money and power.

Exactly! But SVIAC had to start somewhere. It cannot spring into existence covering the whole of BC overnight for the reasons you have very well described.
A true BC wide Anglers Coalition as to be built one brick at a time. There is no other way.

I see what you mean, Roland.......

but...

Either a coalition would cover entire B.C....or..it would be composed of many smaller groups united under one banner.

If it's the second...that's when the fun will start. One faction opposed to the agendas of another.

Why do people start these groups?.....because they are dis-satisfied with choices by DFO basically, plus a smattering of opposition to power projects, stream disruption, closures, environmental corporate decisions etc etc.

Take south island (Sooke ) for example.....and I mean no disrespect here........but it was just a few short weeks ago when, during the slot restrictions there, the finger was immediately pointed at mid ECVI with much gusto insofar as Sooksters felt that it wasn't fair that we were allowed to catch big fish and that we should be punished with the same restrictions.

Fast forward to now.......every Sooke report is a gushing testimonial to how good the fishing is and how blessed everyone is with such an abundant resource etc etc......

If a coalition is made up of smaller groups , you are going to get this type of grade-school bickering ad nauseum.

Was SVIAC formed because they were unhappy with SFAB?

Did you feel that SFAB wasn't meeting your needs?

Do you feel that SVIAC should be the "governing body"?

By it's own vision statement SVIAC is concerned only with south V.I.......why would they be addressing anyone else's issues?

As FA mentioned....there are not too many "revolting" fishermen on the mainland it seems.....moreso Van Isle is the hotbed of unrest.......

In numbers we should be putting a short leash on the commercial fleet and the First Nations fish sales. Instead we are the majority and we are getting walked on for putting fish on our tables for our families to eat. We are being restricted so that others can sell our fish and buy their AAA beef.

Should we discuss lodge owners buying and selling quota..... No there enough threads about that. :)

Lots of ground you have covered here Seafever and quite a challenge to cover it all but here goes*:- (NOTE: this is my understanding of what is happening but I do not speak for SVIAC as I am not on the Board.)
I see what you mean, Roland.......

but...

Either a coalition would cover entire B.C....or..it would be composed of many smaller groups united under one banner.

If it's the second...that's when the fun will start. One faction opposed to the agendas of another.
Exactly how to organise and manage a BC wide anglers coalition is probably the biggest challenge anyone has in attempting such a thing. The BC recreational anglers community is notoriously fractured as the posts on this Forum attest!!.. My understanding is SVIAC recognises exactly the sort of scenarios you describe and understands that any initiative heading in the direction of unification can only proceed incrementally. A BC wide coalition will have to evolve bit by bit, with other chapters or units getting going over time. Just how the whole thing would organised and run constitutionally is anybody’s guess right now but Rome was not built in a day and an anglers coalition has to start somewhere and it started with SVIAC.

Why do people start these groups?.....because they are dis-satisfied with choices by DFO basically, plus a smattering of opposition to power projects, stream disruption, closures, environmental corporate decisions etc etc.
My understanding is the SVIAC founders believed the only way forward was to harness the collective power and wisdom of the recreational angling community and form a powerful lobby group that would pro-actively advocate and educate for policies on behalf of the recreational fishing industry that put wild fish first.

Take south island (Sooke ) for example.....and I mean no disrespect here........but it was just a few short weeks ago when, during the slot restrictions there, the finger was immediately pointed at mid ECVI with much gusto insofar as Sooksters felt that it wasn't fair that we were allowed to catch big fish and that we should be punished with the same restrictions.

Fast forward to now.......every Sooke report is a gushing testimonial to how good the fishing is and how blessed everyone is with such an abundant resource etc etc......
If a coalition is made up of smaller groups , you are going to get this type of grade-school bickering ad nauseum.
Bit of a digression this one but it is very illustrative of the fractures in the recreational community that exists and the challenges going forward. My understanding is SVIAC aspires to be one the unifying umbrella for these apparently competing interests, but achieving that goal is some way down the road yet. (And at least one name change away!!)

Was SVIAC formed because they were unhappy with SFAB?

Did you feel that SFAB wasn't meeting your needs?
SFAB is an advisory body that does not carry any real weight with DFO and is often asked to comment on decisions after the fact. It is not a lobby group nor is it structured to be pro-active.
SVIAC was created and organised to meet different emerging needs. In particular the need for pro-active lobbying in high places.

Do you feel that SVIAC should be the "governing body"?
Not sure where you are heading with this one. SVIAC understands there are several different groups already doing excellent work and recognises that strong alliances will be very beneficial to the whole recreational angling community.

By it's own vision statement SVIAC is concerned only with south V.I.......why would they be addressing anyone else's issues?
The material you are reading is the starting point. But that vision when translated to actions and efforts will still be addressing issues of concern to the whole recreational angling community. One example is the halibut allocation situation and the experimental quota “purchasing” program. Another are the Fraser stream and tributary stocks, the health of which affect a great deal more than just Southern VI.

As FA mentioned....there are not too many "revolting" fishermen on the mainland it seems.....moreso Van Isle is the hotbed of unrest.......
Well my personal hope is we can eventually arouse a lot more “revolting” anglers on the LM. For only together can we hope to lobby and influence the ultimate powers that be and senior decision makers to pursue policies which support and protect the wild fish populations and the entire recreational angling industry which depends on those stocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick scan of the thread, but how about Willie Mitchell? See pic:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu.../1208/did-you-see-that-081712/content.11.html

Thats a great idea.... I liked " The Los Angeles Kings defenseman, seen here in Telegraph Cove, BC, is living proof of the old saying, "Give an NHL player a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach an NHL player to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer from the Stanley Cup all day."

But we shouldn't have to give him a fish he should be able to go out and catch a fish.

But soon we will be like the rest of the folks that don't fish or win the Stanley Cup....... We will be golfing cause we allowed $$$$$$ to kill all of our fish.

Back