WD40

In the small amounts used on tackle
It's likely no more harmful to the environment than the exhaust by products of 2-stroke outboards.
besides, if you use it on your flasher ball bearings , it's still going into the water right ?

[/quote]
In any case, if you handle any of the “Bad Scents”, remember to wash your hands with some good old “Lemon Joy” to remove the offensive odors; that is, if you want to catch any fish the rest of the day.""

[/quote]

Great topic guys as I have often considered wearing surgical gloves when I am fishing. I have instead decided to wash my hands regularily while fishing and will often take a used broken up chovy and "wash" my hands with the bait and then saltwater rinse. I have also used toothpaste to wash my hands in the morning AFTER I have used my hands to put on suntan lotion. The thinking is that toothpaste is a cleaner and the fact suntan lotion smell may repell fish.

Charlie , interesting what you say about "lemon Joy" . I have always stayed away from anything citrus while fishing. NO oranges or citrus fruits as I was lead to believe citrus fruits , especially oranges, were a "no go" when fishing. If thats true then I would have thought lemon soap would be not a good thing if you wanted to catch fish....unless I guess if you were rinsing your hands completely of any citrus smell ...???

On a side note, I have always felt that dog smell on your hands was a bad scent and would repel fish. I do know however that people fishing with dogs on board have been known to catch a few fish ;)

Wash your hands with toothpaste before you start fishing, it will take any of the "Human" smell off your hands. (if you smoke like myself it is a must) After I get my first fish or two in the morning I usually rub my spoon or bait on the fish I caught. I have no idea if it actually helps, but it certainly doesn't seem to hurt.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Thats Funny FA , I thought toothpaste was my own idea ( see my post above) but guess not .....I thought I might be taking things a bit too seriously and was not sure I wanted to admit washing my hands with toothpaste. Maybe washing my hands with anchovies is something I shouldn't admit though ;)lol

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

WD-40 good grief....

Work on the roll!

Smiley66

LOL, I have to agree with Smiley on this ..100%

On a side note, Back in the day when the limit was 4 springs per day, the best 8 hours of fishing I have ever had was right after I washed my ol bait bucket with bleach. I was in a mini lull, everyone around me this one night was nailing fish at Kirby point. I mean everyone, except me and my 2 guests. I got so frustrated that I simply trolled away down to Ohiat Island. 3/4 the way there we hooked into a very nice 40#. But I knew something was wrong, so I threw out all the old bait (even though it didn't stink to me) and washed the bait bucket down with bleach, made a new brine with new packs of chovs. Went out the next morning and got 2 before the sun came up, so I knew it was game on again. That afternoon we went out at around 3:30. I set down and before I got to my chair we had one on. It was fish after fish until about 6:30 when we brought in our 8th fish over 30#. The next morning we went out again and dropped the gear and while it was almost still pitch black out, we hooked into a 51#.

I truly feel that washing out the bucket with bleach had everything to do with my change of luck.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Back