WD40

B

bacon

has anyone every done the WD40 trick and have it produce???:)Q

I hear it used to when it had herring oil, but I went through a phase where I was putting every kind of scented crap I could find on a lure, I didn't notice it produce any more myself. The Berkley PowerBait/Gulp stuff sure worked, but none of the others, it just washes off.

A lot of guys swear by it tho, but when you look at the slick it leaves in the water when it comes off your bait, you should ask yourself two questions.

One, is it going to stay on my bait after the first 15 minutes...

Two, is that nice oil slick coming off of it doing the environment any good.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

No one would do that here because it is against the law to put wd40 in the water.
Smelly jelly works better anyway.
GLG

Bare with me... this is right out of a book, which I think is pretty good!:D:D

Salmon and Scents</u>
Have you ever heard “you are what you eat”, well you also smell of what you eat. Think about the person who ate the garlic pizza last night. I have been experimenting with scents and attractants for several years now and have to admit I cannot say any attractant has increased my catch; however, over the years I have learned a lot about the different “scents” and the ones that will make a difference in not catching salmon. I am more interested in staying away from the “bad” scents, but using a small amount of attractant cannot hurt and could possibly help.

My scent research started in 1995, when a friend went on our annual fishing trip. For the entire week, others and I caught fish. He did not. We had separate boats and he even came on board mine to insure he was doing everything exactly the same. The following year he showed up with the exact same rod and reel I have, and again all week long we caught fish and he did not. It was to the point he measured leader lengths to insure he copied everything to the “T”. That year we concluded the reason, I use “Cannon” downriggers w/positive ION and he had “Scotty’s” without. The following year he showed with his “blackbox” ready to fish and again as in previous years, the same results. We then concluded it was just the difference in boats. It just so happened I was getting a larger boat, so he bought mine. Now he is ready! Again, he had no luck. After many discussions and much analyzing, we concluded it was his scent! That year he donned a pair of surgical gloves and immediately started catching fish. The conclusion… his scent on the bait was repelling the fish.

A salmon travels largely by smell and can detect its natal stream five thousand miles at sea. It will remember this scent following it home to its stream to spawn. Salmon have the ability to detect small concentrations of compounds. This works both with us and against us. If you understand this, you will put more fish in the box.

There are several detrimental scents listed that salmon in general do not like. The most important one is called, "L-serine amino acid". All mammals, including humans give off this scent. Some more than others, refer to my friend’s story. This is one reason some anglers just cannot catch a fish, they give off enough of this smell to repel fish. A salmon can detect L-serine amino acid in quantities as little as 1 part per 8 billion. This means the salmon will smell you and anything you have handled, meaning both your bait and lures. If others are catching fish and you are not, my advice is to start looking around for bad scents and wash your hands and lures.

Here are some of the scents salmon like “Good Scents”:
Shrimp Crawfish Anise
Herring Garlic Shad
Smelt Salmon Egg Anchovy
Krill Sardine White Corn
There are thoughts that Chinook salmon prefers a mixture of Sardine and Garlic. I will not argue that.

Here are some of the scents Salmon DO NOT like “Bad Scents”:
L-serine amino acid Oil Onions
Gasoline Fried Chicken Cigarettes
Potato Chips Insect Repellents Some Hand Lotions
Pepper

This brings us back to the statement, “I cannot say any attractant has increased my catch”, but one needs to remember, a scent can be used to mask your smell. The attractant part is an added benefit. I do use scents to mask my scent, but remember some scents contain profiles that appeal to fish and can trigger feeding behaviors. In any case, if you handle any of the “Bad Scents”, remember to wash your hands with some old good “Lemon Joy” to remove the offensive odors; that is, if you want to catch any fish the rest of the day.

If you are using WD-40 as an attractant, you probably should not. WD-40 main ingredient is Hexane (50%), followed by 25% Liquefied petroleum gas, 15% Mineral oil, 10% Inert ingredients. It does not contain "fish oil"! I quote, "It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used."

quote:Originally posted by highlights

It was originally developed for people suffering from arthritis.

.....no kidding
Actually, it was developed in 1953, by a company called Rocket Chemical Company. The company consisted of a staff of three. It was created as a rust-prevention solvent and degreaser for use in the aerospace industry.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. WD-40 stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try. Convair, which is an aerospace contractor, was the first to use WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion.

I personally wouldn't be using it as an attractant? [:0]

what about "Charlie white bilge water "????

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

quote:Originally posted by Jencourt

what about "Charlie white bilge water "????

Well, I have never read his books, so can't comment; other than I guess the "best" of us are wrong at times? :D

The basic original formula still stands... it has never contained any kind of herring and/or other fish oil! I was surprised to find, that is strictly a myth! [:0][:0]

Charlie, you must have read the same article that I just did. I googled it after you destroyed my arthritis story. Apparently "they" led me on years ago when I googled it. The most rescent account makes much more sense.

Now they will tell us that crazy glue was not invented in the first world war for the use in closing wounds.

:) HL

not disputing the wd 40. I completely agree, keep it out of the water 100 percent. I was just wondering if you new anything about his sent. I remember watching his video on salmon and scent with his camera mounted on his down rigger. was a lot of years ago now and had forgotten about it until I read this thread.I have to admit that until a couple years ago I two did subscribe to the belief that WD did have fish oil in it. It was wen I got the MSDS sheets on it for the shop that I learned differently.

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Charlie, you must have read the same article that I just did. I googled it after you destroyed my arthritis story. Apparently "they" led me on years ago when I googled it. The most rescent account makes much more sense.

Now they will tell us that crazy glue was not invented in the first world war for the use in closing wounds.

:) HL
Sorry, I didn't mean to destroy you arthritis story![:I]
If you "Google" a little deeper you will find the ingredients and the myth concerning the fish oil!:)

quote:Originally posted by Jencourt

not disputing the wd 40. I completely agree, keep it out of the water 100 percent. I was just wondering if you new anything about his sent. I remember watching his video on salmon and scent with his camera mounted on his down rigger. was a lot of years ago now and had forgotten about it until I read this thread.I have to admit that until a couple years ago I two did subscribe to the belief that WD did have fish oil in it. It was wen I got the MSDS sheets on it for the shop that I learned differently.

I agree with LC! Read what I posted again! “"I cannot say any attractant has increased my catch”, but one needs to remember, a scent can be used to mask your smell. The attractant part is an added benefit. I do use scents to mask my scent, but remember some scents contain profiles that appeal to fish and can trigger feeding behaviors. In any case, if you handle any of the “Bad Scents”, remember to wash your hands with some good old “Lemon Joy” to remove the offensive odors; that is, if you want to catch any fish the rest of the day.""

This past year, as my son-in-law was munching down his bag of "potato chips" and trying to figure out why I was getting all the fish on my pole and "he" wasn't even getting a bite, was shocked when I told him, "that's because you stink". He actually thought I was referring to his BO. I then explained what I was talking about concerning salmon and scents. He goes and washes his hands, re-baits, and immediately catches a fish! Made a believer out of him!

Just say NO to the WD. It ain't gonna work, and even if it did, you're putting a pollutant in the water you eat from!

The "other Charlie" had a few bizarre ideas, but the one I can agree with through loads of practical application is X-10. Really.[^]

And while I very much hear and believe what this Charlie is saying about dettractants, this particular chain-smoking nicotine stained fingered fisher seems to have but little problem in hauling out the odd one from time to time ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Bet I smoke more than you!! Wanna bet?? :D
I guess WE</u> just naturally smell good to a fish!!! Cause my wife keeps telling me how much my smoking "stinks"! :D:D:D

I didn't do nor write the study, but it doesn't say or include anything about "nicotine", rather it says, "Cigarettes". More than likely it is referring to "tobacco"? I have never seen any salmon eat tobacco, have you?</u> [?]

Oh, 10 will get you 20, that you have a rag that you use to wipe your hands off! Also, it is either dipped and rinsed in soap water or fresh sea water? Bet I just won! [:0][:0]

I can confirm the nicotine stained fingy's. Doesn't seem to bother the steelies much either;)

Pass the Pack

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

It may be a pollutant no longer made with fish oil, but it works...
Springs are attracted to the scent.
It was never made with fish oil! I used to use it all the time, until and I quote,"It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used."

So, I guess with my choice of possibly burning myself up, my skin falling off, going blind or using it as an attractant... I choose not to use it anymore? :(

I can't help but weigh in on this thread. My opinion is that WD-40 shouldn't work for the reasons Charlie and others point out. However, when I go fishing with my buddy he uses WD-40 regularly and usually outfishes me even when using the same lure/bait, leader length, flasher, depth, etc. I have to admit I don't get it, but like RS Craven says it seems to work somehow.

Long live wild salmon!!!

i have heard that it is because of the purple-blue sheen it trails behind. [xx(][xx(][xx(]

Back