Waterproof electrical connections?

This is expensive but rated tor wet locations and direct burial. I used them on my boat trailer years ago and no problems. You wire nut or splice then combine the 2 part epoxy by pushing a disc inside the tube then shaking until combined. Then shove the connections in the tube - deep into the epoxy. it hardens quickly and is rock hard.

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/10...F0BEvwg-WJpd6immw1EFRcNB5CfNrUvSJjBoCNrPw_wcB

Ouch, $19US a connection, I hope you don't have many connections to make at that price. With exchange,shipping, and taxes that would be closer to $30CDN per connection. I think I'll stay with glue melt and heat shrink at that price. Thanks for the post though.

Slightly off topic but I've been rewiring lately too and want to add a sub panel on the transom to handle my 3 downriggers and wash down pump.I was thinking a panel with breakers would be better than fuses because if I blow a downrigger fuse I'm probably hung up on a crab trap or something and it would be urgent to get it back operational. Finding the right fuse and installing might take too long.Anybody else using breakers rather than fuses?

Slightly off topic but I've been rewiring lately too and want to add a sub panel on the transom to handle my 3 downriggers and wash down pump.I was thinking a panel with breakers would be better than fuses because if I blow a downrigger fuse I'm probably hung up on a crab trap or something and it would be urgent to get it back operational. Finding the right fuse and installing might take too long.Anybody else using breakers rather than fuses?
I have a bud who uses them but they seem to rust out and deteriorate after 2 seasons so hes always replacing them but he likes them better then fuses and is willing to pay the costs

You don not have to add an entire panel. You could simply wire your Downriggers into a dedicated marine breaker switch. They can be tripped manually and used as a shut off. Watertight and far more reliable I would think. You'd probably have far less false trips with a heavy duty dedicated marine breaker/switch. JMO, maybe others have used a breaker panel and feel it works well.

Blue Seas fuse blocks have a couple of slots for spare fuses right inside the cover. I keep a couple 30A fuses there in case I blow a fuse on one of my riggers. Takes seconds to change and a lot cheaper than a breaker for each circuit. I do have a breaker on the main feed to each fuse block though.

The few times my downriggers have got caught on traps the auto reset breaker in the Scotty has tripped not blown the fuse. It reset and all was good.

No one has commented on the link I posted where he uses aluminum crimps for his electrical connections. Thoughts?

6e6bdc07b12144d284ad1201f750e5eb_MacdTech0115_4.jpg

6e6bdc07b12144d284ad1201f750e5eb_MacdTech0115_5.jpg

6e6bdc07b12144d284ad1201f750e5eb_MacdTech0115_6.jpg

6e6bdc07b12144d284ad1201f750e5eb_MacdTech0115_7.jpg

While Im sure they will work fine in the majority of cases or if I was doing a field repair and they were all I had.
I don't use that many splice connectors so for the difference in cost between proper tinned copper electrical crimps and those aluminium ones I don't see the value?

While Im sure they will work fine in the majority of cases or if I was doing a field repair and they were all I had.
I don't use that many splice connectors so for the difference in cost between proper tinned copper electrical crimps and those aluminium ones I don't see the value?
Probably very true. I thought it was rather creative though, and as you say it would serve well as a method of field repair. I give him points for creativity, and thinking outside of the box.

quick note, use what you thinks the best. just make sure its ignition safe if its enclosed in the back transom

Back