Water/fuel seperator

high tide

I have a 1999 150 HP Mercury ......... Want to install a new filter separator kit ...... What do you recommend. The prices and types are all over the place ........ It will be exposed to Sun and water .

Thanks for your opinion.

Ht

Don't forget to fill the filter with fuel before spinning it on or you will wear your forearm out pumping the primer ball. Been there and done that.

thought i smelled gas lol ,
nah , shes solid , over 50 hrs on her now i think , no issues
not sure , but , i will keep an eye on it , seems pretty solid to me ,
, dont want ya ta buy a piece of junk , my mechanic recommended it to me ??
if it causes any issues , i will change em out , think the bolt patterns are all very close ,
thx for the heads up... keep ya posted

so , i cant find my receipts , boats out west , it looks as if the Raycors are superior ,i didnt know that !!
so id go with that , looks a little pricier too , i dont want you to have an issue ,
as i said , mine sealed immediately ,only hand tight , zero issues so far ,
drains work perfectly as well ,
, it really did feel like a good product !!

im off out west again for a week
will pull the part numbers off the filters for you

sorry for the confusion i may have caused High Tide ...

more reviews , looks much better here ??
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...46#reviewsInfo

some more good reviews
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=75846#reviewsInfo

fd

Is this the same one? http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Separ...2-2020320?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A4EHQJ82P9RYJYB1BKM
Just wondering because the reviews look scary. Lots of leaking reported.
Nice installation nonetheless!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was planning to install one this year too. Maybe I'll hold off a while and see how your's work out. Hope they turn out to be satisfactory.

The best 10 micron fuel/water separator I ever used were the ones produced by Yamaha---unfortunately, they are stupidly expensive

I switched to Racors when I picked up a pre-owned boat that had that brand installed. The smaller ones used in sport fishing boat applications are "ok" but I have found that the filters sometimes have a SERIOUS flaw--- when trying to back-spin a filter off the housing for a change-out, sometimes the metal canister breaks free from the outer threaded frame -- this happened to me twice and I resorted to puncturing the outer filter with a screw driver and wedging the point into the threaded frame to get the filter off

This happened in my driveway---I can imagine what a joy it would be to have that happen out on the water in lumpy seas

I now carry a complete spare Racor (the full mounting frame + filter+ spare hose clamps) -- I want to be in a position to change out the entire unit if push comes to shove

I recall reading another thread about this a few years ago so this has happened to other guys--never had that happen with the Yamaha set up

my dual RACOR setup looks exactly like those pictured above. 7 years now and no issues. replacement filters are widely available. sight glass makes it easy to see what is going on.

I bought the Moeller top and screwed on a Racor filter and bowl. I'd do it again.... Racor head on my aluminum boat lasts a year before looking like complete crap. Not buying another Racor head just filters from now on.

Back