Washington State Transport Permit

Anybody know where to go to get a transport permit for Washington State to bring a boat/trailer back to Canada? I have recently made a boat purchase and was told I need to get one of these to get to the border.

Anybody know where to go to get a transport permit for Washington State to bring a boat/trailer back to Canada? I have recently made a boat purchase and was told I need to get one of these to get to the border.

Try this:

https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/vehoffices/DisplayOffices.aspx?County=37

Washington State Departent of Licensing
Blaine Cost Cutter Licensing
Blaine International Ctr
1733 "H" St #100
Blaine, WA 98230-5107
Phone: (360) 332-7089

1733 "H" St #100
Blaine, WA 98230-5107

Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. Heading down on Wednesday to pick it up. Hope all goes well.

Make sure you go to an ICBC agent to get a "rider" on your vehicle insurance policy to cover you in the event of an accident once you hit the border. The Washington plate might make you legal in Washington, but it won't in BC. I brought a boat/trailer up from Oregon last fall and the seller left the plate on which got me through Ore. and Wa - but I needed the rider from ICBC once I crossed the border.
I assume you know that you're going to have to have the trailer inspected and get approval from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles within 2 weeks of getting back to Canada. Your ICBC can last for 10 days (max) if I recall correctly which should give you time to go through that process.

Make sure you go to an ICBC agent to get a "rider" on your vehicle insurance policy to cover you in the event of an accident once you hit the border. The Washington plate might make you legal in Washington, but it won't in BC. I brought a boat/trailer up from Oregon last fall and the seller left the plate on which got me through Ore. and Wa - but I needed the rider from ICBC once I crossed the border.
I assume you know that you're going to have to have the trailer inspected and get approval from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles within 2 weeks of getting back to Canada. Your ICBC can last for 10 days (max) if I recall correctly which should give you time to go through that process.

Any trailer older than 15 years is RIV exempt, so if its older than 1998 you wont need a inspection,

Make sure you bring all email coorespondances, dont lie on the price, the border will catch you, i imported a boat last april, it is super easy if you do your homework, definetly get a icbc insurance binder to cover yOu in BC, i paid with a registered cheque, was easier than carrying cash into the states and is good for proving how much you paid for the boat. Get a bill of sale seperating, boat, motor, trailer...when you insure the trailer at icbc if its not seperate you will pay the tax of the total price.

At the border you will pay tax on boat and motor, trailer only gst, pst at icbc when you register it. Make sure the VIN is legible on the trailer!!! They wont let you register it in BC without sighting the VIN!!!!

The more prepared you are at customs, the easier it will be, they will assume you are being fraudulantjntil you prove them otherwise, atleast thats the impression i had, they will want to know how you heard about it...if it was craigslist, print the add....all that goes a long way and proves your not trying to be fraudulant and skip out on paying tax.

Good luck!

That all sounds good. I think I got everything covered and I will see if he will leave his plate on there for the trip home. Its a 2006 boat and trailer so I will have to get it inspected. What do they inspect at Canadian Tire or is it just a money grab? What will the rider cost me?

I believe the insurance binder from ICBC covers you from point of purchase (wherever in the US you bought the boat) to your parked desination at home, or whichever inspection facility you take it to for the trailer. It does not cover you from the inspection facility to your house though. Where you stop with the vehicle in Canada is where the binder stops.

To second, Be honest at the border. The few dollars you try to save in tax is not worth the thousands in fines they issue when they bust you. And its not hard for them to find out. Learn from my mistake, I've paid one of those fines lol.

At Canadian Tire I've had both a parking lot inspection ("yup, looks good to me") and a hoist inspection. Both passed, both missed obvious infractions. But you get the required paperwork to tow it around legally and there's no way around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been mentioned that the Canada Customs may want to see the craigslist ad to confirm sale price which is fine because I have that. Problem is that in the ad it mentions that the brakes have been removed from the trailer. The seller said that this was done because they were always seizing up on him which I think is common occurrence with drum brakes. I am not worried about that as the boat and trailer would weigh about 4500lbs and I drive a 1ton duramax so I will barely notice the boat behind me. Problem might be at the border they see this description on the ad and not let me continue into BC. Any thoughts or suggestions with my little dilemma.

Running on previous owner's tabs = "$529.00US fine and impoundment"

If you already have the paperwork showing the needed information, just go ahead and get your BC registration for that “trailer.” If you can’t and/or don't have that I would highly suggest and advise stopping either at a BC or WA vehicular license branch and buy a very inexpensive temporary “trip permit” (temp) and display it as instructed, as that is exactly what they are designed for!

There is a difference between the “boat” and “trailer” and assuming you aren’t planning on operating your new boat in WA on this trip, as YOU cannot operated either in the State of Washington, until they are properly registered in YOUR name.

If the trailer does have current “tabs” in another’s name, they are absolutely without a doubt of "NO" use to you – PERIOD end of subject! If stopped you will be considered illegally operating a trailer on a Washington public highway. FYI... Buying from a dealer, they will actually issue the above “temp” and are legally required and supposed to remove those WA plates.

Now, me as a Yank if stopped, would be quickly explaining I am currently on the way to get the proper registration, hoping the cop will just give me a warning and let me go. Dude – you be a Canuck, as in from a “foreign country” breaking Washington law? Feel free trying to explain your way out of that orginal reason you were stopped, and then add the running on illegal tabs – GOOD LUCK that has trailer "IMPOUNDED," until fine is paid written all over it!

That fine is $529.00US that canNOT be reduced, and to that add the trailer “impoundment” and starage fees (with your new boat sitting on it), so don’t forget to consider all the potential costs assiciated with getting caught breaking WA law, in your decision making process.

Here are portions of Washington law, you might find of interest, prior to just hooking up to that trailer, with the previous owner’s unexpired “tabs”:

§ 46.16.010. Licenses and plates required -- Penalties -- Exceptions -- Expired registration, impoundment

(1) It is unlawful for a person to operate any vehicle over and along a public highway of this state without first having obtained and having in full force and effect a current and proper vehicle license and display vehicle license number plates therefor as by this chapter provided.

(2) Failure to make initial registration before operation on the highways of this state is a traffic infraction, and any person committing this infraction shall pay a penalty of five hundred twenty-nine dollars, no part of which may be suspended or deferred.

§ 46.16.030. Nonresident exemption -- Reciprocity
Except as is herein provided for foreign businesses, the provisions relative to the licensing of vehicles and display of vehicle license number plates and license registration certificates shall not apply to any vehicles owned by nonresidents of this state if the owner thereof has complied with the law requiring the licensing of vehicles in the names of the owners thereof in force in the state, foreign country, territory or federal district of his or her residence; and the vehicle license number plate showing the initial or abbreviation of the name of such state, foreign country, territory or federal district, is displayed on such vehicle substantially as is provided therefor in this state. The provisions of this section shall be operative as to a vehicle owned by a nonresident of this state only to the extent that under the laws of the state, foreign country, territory or federal district of his or her residence, like exemptions and privileges are granted to vehicles duly licensed under the laws of and owned by residents of this state. If under the laws of such state, foreign country, territory or federal district, vehicles owned by residents of this state, operating upon the highways of such state, foreign country, territory or federal district, are required to pay the license fee and carry the vehicle license number plates of such state, foreign country, territory or federal district, the vehicles owned by residents of such state, foreign country, territory or federal district, and operating upon the highways of this state, shall comply with the provisions of this state relating to the licensing of vehicles. Foreign businesses owning, maintaining, or operating places of business in this state and using vehicles in connection with such places of business, shall comply with the provisions relating to the licensing of vehicles insofar as vehicles used in connection with such places of business are concerned. Under provisions of the international registration plan, the nonmotor vehicles of member and nonmember jurisdictions which are properly based and licensed in such jurisdictions are granted reciprocity in this state as provided in *RCW 46.87.070(2). The director is empowered to make and enforce rules and regulations for the licensing of nonresident vehicles upon a reciprocal basis and with respect to any character or class of operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Northislander, just noticed you're in Royston. So am I - maybe we're neighbours. I had the craigslist ad when I brought my boat up and I don't think the Customs guy paid any attention to anything other than the price. He did remark that the fact that I got the boat for $2000 less than the ad price was a good deal. He didn't even leave his kiosk to go out and look at the boat. I think that's one of the advantages of being prepared with all the paper work etc. The whole process took about 20 minutes.
If you're going to replace the brake system on the trailer, you might want to pick up a Kodiak disc brake conversion kit and accuator while you're in the US - you'll save yourself a few hundred bucks over buying up here. Not hard to install yourself - I did it and I'm no mechanical marvel. Interstingly enough, I don't think the Canadian Tire guy even looked at the brakes on my trailer during the inspection. He certainly did not pick up on the fact that there were only brakes on one axle and in BC, dual axle trailers require brakes on both axles.
Anyway - good luck with the process! Be interested to find out how you make out with it.

Hey, Northislander, just noticed you're in Royston. So am I - maybe we're neighbours. I had the craigslist ad when I brought my boat up and I don't think the Customs guy paid any attention to anything other than the price. He did remark that the fact that I got the boat for $2000 less than the ad price was a good deal. He didn't even leave his kiosk to go out and look at the boat. I think that's one of the advantages of being prepared with all the paper work etc. The whole process took about 20 minutes.
If you're going to replace the brake system on the trailer, you might want to pick up a Kodiak disc brake conversion kit and accuator while you're in the US - you'll save yourself a few hundred bucks over buying up here. Not hard to install yourself - I did it and I'm no mechanical marvel. Interstingly enough, I don't think the Canadian Tire guy even looked at the brakes on my trailer during the inspection. He certainly did not pick up on the fact that there were only brakes on one axle and in BC, dual axle trailers require brakes on both axles.
Anyway - good luck with the process! Be interested to find out how you make out with it.

BIgbruce, PM sent

Bumpin this old thread because some good info

Back