Wanted - Tandem Axle Boat Trailer - Electric over Hydraulic Disk Brakes

nez_fer

EDIT: May 18th. Ended up buying a new trailer.

Hi all,
I'm looking for a Tandem Axle Boat Trailer. Needs to have Disk Brakes, Electric over Hydraulic. It is for my 23ft Glasply with estimated weight around 5500 with gear and fuel.

Anywhere on Vancouver Island would be ideal.

Please PM me if you have anything.

Thank you.

Last edited:
So, with a load of ~6,500#, are you looking for a trailer with a GVW of 8,000 - 9,000#?

Any preferences; painted, galvanized or aluminum? Any price point limits?

FD

So, with a load of ~6,500#, are you looking for a trailer with a GVW of 8,000 - 9,000#?

Any preferences; painted, galvanized or aluminum? Any price point limits?

FD
Yes 8000# GVW minimum. Aluminum would be nice but not required. No real price point. I'm going to buy new if I can't find a good used one.

Edit. 7000 GVW minimum.

Last edited:
What are they running now? Seem to remember about 12k?

Keep an eye on Pearson Marine and Marine One, they have new trailers they use to import boats and then sell the trailers separately.
Yeah spot on. Was just quoted $12,500 for a new one, but only one out there with a sale pending already. No full details, but was disk with electric over hydraulic. I guess my other option is to get my existing trailer completely rebuilt and converted from surge/drum brakes. Might be able to get it done in Nanaimo for half the price of a new trailer.

Yeah spot on. Was just quoted $12,500 for a new one, but only one out there with a sale pending already. No full details, but was disk with electric over hydraulic. I guess my other option is to get my existing trailer completely rebuilt and converted from surge/drum brakes. Might be able to get it done in Nanaimo for half the price of a new trailer.
Yeah, you can likely get $3500 for the old one and the new one will come all new with new tires, winch, etc. If there weren’t taxes on a new one it would be a no brainer. Will the wet weight be over your current trailers gvwr? That was my issue even if I upgraded it wasn’t legal. Mine came with a much better front jack, and allows me to really load the boat without a worry about being close on weight.

Yeah, you can likely get $3500 for the old one and the new one will come all new with new tires, winch, etc. If there weren’t taxes on a new one it would be a no brainer. Will the wet weight be over your current trailers gvwr? That was my issue even if I upgraded it wasn’t legal. Mine came with a much better front jack, and allows me to really load the boat without a worry about being close on weight.
I don't think my existing trailer will be worth much. It needs new brakes and tires. Probably could use new springs too. I'm not certain of the wet weight, but I suspect it's over the legal limit for surge brakes (2800 kg). I'm tired of drum brakes and salt water so figured I'd upgrade while I'm at it.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, if you do decide to fix it I'm doing the same now. Electric over hydraulic 8500lb roadrunner double axel I bought new in 2016, all new rear brakes from etrailer ran me about 1300, and new springs are only 70 bucks or so x 4. My drums are hosed as are the brake assemblies. The springs are less hosed so I didn't do those. It's juts turning screws and a brake bleed but ya, if you're trailering a lot a disc brake conversion would be great. I think I paid 8500 for this trailer back then...frame is great, owner should have done a better job of maintenance haha

Seems there is a new easy loader on the mainland for $8900. Thats more realistic for new. A boat trailer is essential travel right? (Kidding). Also found a few posts with same boat as mine being 5500 lbs wet not 6500.

@noluck one of the posts about weight was by you.

Thanks for everyone's input. Just pulled the trigger on a new easy loader from Kitt Equipment in Chilliwack. I'll fix the brakes on my existing trailer before selling it. Already might have a potential buyer lined up.

Attachments

• EZ Loader.jpg
    EZ Loader.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 95
  • EZ Loader 002.jpg
    EZ Loader 002.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 78
Are they upgrading that trailer to electric over hydraulic? If your boat weighs even 5500lbs, add the weight of the trailer itself and your gross weight will be over 6500lbs. Anything over 6160lbs it is a legal requirement.

Are they upgrading that trailer to electric over hydraulic? If your boat weighs even 5500lbs, add the weight of the trailer itself and your gross weight will be over 6500lbs. Anything over 6160lbs it is a legal requirement.
Hard to see in the pic but the new trailer is Electric over Hydraulic Disc.

Back