Wanted: Small .410 for a youngster

Jiminy

I have a little fella that is turning 9 in late February, and has his heart set on a. 410. I thought I'd put out the feelers and see if anyone may have a smaller model collecting dust in the safe that they are interested in selling. I have the PAL, so no issue there. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Thanks,

Jiminy

Does he have his heart set on a .410 or just a shotgun. I have a.410 (not for sale) and I would suggest maybe looking at a 28 gauge or maybe a 20 gauge. I know they have a little more recoil, but they are (first of all) a little more effective for hunting and are somewhat more cost effective for shooting. We all want to shoot a lot when we are first introduced to the sport. The .410 is quite expensive for a box of shells in regards to what you actually get for a payload and knockdown power for clay targets or birds.

If you reload, it's not quite as important, however the .410 is notoriously hard to reload. The other two gauges are decidedly easier and components are easier to locate.

Not trying to talk you out of the purchase, just giving some first hand knowledge. I love my .410 for grouse hunting, but learning to shoot at moving targets is hard enough. It's especially hard with a small calibre shotgun and don't want a youngster to get discouraged.

Oly

I have a Winchester Model 37A 20 gauge youth break action single shot with exposed hammer. Nice gun, had it new since I was a 10 year old kid. Not sure I want to sell as I have never sold a gun and tend to accumulate however I can attest it's a good starter! Chambered 2 3/4" and 3" so good variety of loads available.

That is awesome that you still have your youth gun, I'm sure there are some good memories there! Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely look at those gauges as well.

Will second a 20g i have a youth model 870, not for sale, my boy who is smaller in stature shoots it all day long and loves it. It doubles as our truck gun for grouse. And can adjust the lop for when he grows. They can be had for about 350$ new. Hit the gunshows for cheap ammo. Have amassed about 1000 rounds cheap.

Back