Wanted lever action 30.30

Islandgirl

I have a valid possession and acquisition certificate, and live mid Vancouver Island.

I’m not sure what’s going on with those rifles but I was at a gun show and couldn’t find one under $600, it seems they are in high demand.

i too am on the prowl for an old beater 30/30. i’m having a hard time finding one but the .44 seem to be dime a dozen

An old beater 30-30 if you find one is north of $600......

I sold one last fall for $550 and was swamped with interest.

i know. i should have bit the bullet when i had the chance. still looking for one but i ended up buying a Remington 600 Mohawk in .243 for a nice short little island deer gun.

I had a Tikka 243 for years for island deer just loved it and shot a lot of deer with it, it was right handed and I shoot left. I ended up getting my dads 270 which is left handed and gave the 243 to my daughter and her husband. The 243 is one of the best calibers for island deer in my opinion.

An old beater 30-30 if you find one is north of $600......

I sold one last fall for $550 and was swamped with interest.
Pre 1964 the Win. 30-30 lever actions were very high quality and machined out of very good steel. After that date they were stamped out, I guess to save some manufacturing costs. As a result the pre 64's developed a legendary status and everybody wanted one greatly upping their value if you could even find one. My brother has a pre 64 Win lever action 30-30 in superb condition. The change over became the gun version of the New Coke marketing disaster. I am not certain, but I think Winchester went back to making the old design quality version at some point. So it really comes down to what you find as some are considered undesirable, some are desirable and some have legendary status.

I use to have a Browning 308 Lever action which was well made but did not produce the kind of accurate very tight groups you can get out of a good tuned up bolt action rifle. It did pump the rounds out fast however.

Last edited:
What's a 20 year old Browning 308 Level action worth?? Ballpark.
No Idea in today's world Newf. It must be 30 years or so since I had mine. I got it used for around $400 which was likely a good deal as I was a cheap ******* in those days and only had it for a year or two and assume I sold it for around the same. I think they would sell for more now. Browning makes good quality rifles and a 308 is a more powerful and longer range rifle than a 30-30. Put down a big Black Bear at very close range, much closer than I was happy with. 3 rounds in it real quick pumping the lever. Had a tag and it was a deep woods bear (no garbage eating) and tasty.

Last edited:
These days a Browning BLR in 308 will run you upwards of $700.
If you do find one for $700, jump on it right away.
Very popular with the hunting community.
Personally, bolt action is the only way to go for me.

These days a Browning BLR in 308 will run you upwards of $700.
If you do find one for $700, jump on it right away.
Very popular with the hunting community.
Personally, bolt action is the only way to go for me.
Bought a BLR, Lightweight, pistol grip in .308 for my middle son 3 years ago, paid right around $1300 for it from a local shop.

Two years ago roughly our local CT was changing hands. The owner that was getting out of it and taking over a new store ( the Langley store ) didn’t want to take his gun inventory with him. So he put them on a massive sale. I kept waiting and watching, it paid off. Bought a brand new Browning BLR in .300 wsm for just around $600. Crazy that’s a $1300 gun on the shelf. I didn’t need the gun but couldn’t pass it up. I ended up giving it to my youngest boy.

Bought a BLR, Lightweight, pistol grip in .308 for my middle son 3 years ago, paid right around $1300 for it from a local shop.

Two years ago roughly our local CT was changing hands. The owner that was getting out of it and taking over a new store ( the Langley store ) didn’t want to take his gun inventory with him. So he put them on a massive sale. I kept waiting and watching, it paid off. Bought a brand new Browning BLR in .300 wsm for just around $600. Crazy that’s a $1300 gun on the shelf. I didn’t need the gun but couldn’t pass it up. I ended up giving it to my youngest boy.

That is a great deal on the 300 Win short magnum.

Last edited:
I have pre 81 BLR for sale right now. $850
They don't' make them like they used too.
message me if your interested. In Victoria

No Idea in today's world Newf. It must be 30 years or so since I had mine. I got it used for around $400 which was likely a good deal as I was a cheap ******* in those days and only had it for a year or two and assume I sold it for around the same. I think they would sell for more now. Browning makes good quality rifles and a 308 is a more powerful and longer range rifle than a 30-30. Put down a big Black Bear at very close range, much closer than I was happy with. 3 rounds in it real quick pumping the lever. Had a tag and it was a deep woods bear (no garbage eating) and tasty.
Thanks Rockfish. I have one that I haven't used since I moved to the island 7yrs ago. Shot a few moose with it in Northern Alberta but gave up hunting when I moved. I will have to dig it out and clean it up.

I bought a Winchester 30-30 out of the Sears catalog back in the 70's when my mom worked at the store and got a decent staff discount. I think the catalogue price was around $128 and it came with 2 boxes of shells. Sold it in the 80's for $300

Back