Wandering at slow speeds

My DE did it. I found I just got used to it and was predictive instead of reactive to it. Either that or rock into the marina like a boss and **** off everyone!

edit- come to think of it that probably explains why my shift dog clutch wore out!

Trolling I’m constantly correcting course to stay on a straight tact
I found the downrigger’s and cannonballs plus. kicker in the water counteract the wandering affect. I still have to correct for current and tide, but the boat runs relatively straight compared to just running the single engine at low speed.

I found the downrigger’s and cannonballs plus. kicker in the water counteract the wandering affect. I still have to correct for current and tide, but the boat runs relatively straight compared to just running the single engine at low speed.
Ya I have no issues when running on the kicker + riggers out

I had a 542 Campion for 10 years and had no issues myself with wandering or at least never noticed it but when other people were at the helm it was night and day. It seemed they were constantly over correcting so I would tell them to use small inputs on the wheel, some got it some didn’t. I eventually just put it down to rookie mistakes.

When maneuvering in a tight docking situation, going in and out of neutral can be helpful as the boat tends to not wander as much as it glides. Remember your (most likely) right hand rotation makes the boat turn tighter and react quicker one way than the other, forward and reverse.

My current boat (deep v) used to wander a lot at trolling speed on the kicker. kicker has a steering link to the main. Added hydraulic steering to the main and the problem was eliminated. I was surprised.

At idle in gear, mine is okay. Trying to get from Burrard Civic Marina to the white markers outside of the no wake zone at five or 6 miles an hour it noticeably wanders though.

Our previous 21' Maxum wandered around a lot at those 5-9knt speeds. Only more speed stopped it.

My Bayliner 245 and my Maxum 1800 were both HORRIBLE. You actually just sent a chill down my spine thinking about it. The commander doesn't budge.
Commanders have a small keel about 3 or 4 inches deep running about 2/3 of the way back to the stern. A bit unique for a planning boat. RC you are right they track as straight as an arrow even on one engine

Back